Banana - Flower and maybe fruit!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by sophie, Jul 14, 2007.

1. sophie

sophie Member

My banana plant has a flower and I can see little bananas! I didn't know that bananas even flower here on the southern BC coast. Has anyone had any luck in actually getting edible fruit?

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Typically, banana plants require 9 months from flower to edible fruit. Since the majority are tropical, it is unlikely you'll make it through the winter with the plant still above the ground. According to the folks at Going Bananas in Homestead, FL. http://www.going-bananas.com/ there are close to 80 species of this plant. Some only produce a flower which is quite colorful with tiny bananas that cannot be eaten. Others produce fruit that is grainy and not very tasteful. Some are only good when cooked. And still others produce the wonderful fruit most of us enjoy. Unless you know the species, it is will be difficult to learn what you are growing and about your chances. There are banana species that grow in China that will survive the winter but according to information from the folks in Homestead, none are good to eat. Check out their website. They are very good about answering email questions.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

What type do you have ? ... Musa basjoo (typically sold here). If so, fruit is ornimental only and not edible.

Cheers, LPN.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I grow 4 species. Two I never got a scientific name for in Miami! It's anyone's guess. Three produce edible fruit. One of the fruit bearing is Musa acuminata. That one is a medium sized plant that produces sweet fruit and is commonly called the 'Ice Cream' Banana. We have a bunch of Musa ornata. That one produces tiny bananas but does produce a beautfiul inflorescence. It is called a "flowering banana". Our's produce pink, purple and burgundy flowers. You can find all of these, and many, many more at Going Bananas in Homestead. And they will ship!

5. LPN

Nice Steve. I'd like to grow more types here although the soil would have to be amended considerably. It's very rocky here and more suitable for Eucalyptus, Yucca & cacti.
    sophie, I pose the same question ... What type do you have ? ... Musa basjoo (typically sold here). If so, fruit is ornimental only and not edible.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've tried twice without success but may others here are growing Japanese (basjoo) bananas under what appear to be rather ordinary conditions. I wouldn't assume you can't grow them in your rocky conditions, if there are any moist pockets one of these might be quite suitable. Wind could be a problem on a coastal bluff-style site, the huge leaves will tear if worked at enough by wind.

7. LPN

My Musa basjoo are standing at about 10' tall after freezing to the ground last winter. They're likely to put on another 3' or 4' of height this year.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

8. sophie

sophie Member

Hello, thanks for all the info. Sounds like I will not be eating my bananas anytime soon! Here is a photo taken a couple days ago. Since then there are now many more bananas. I don not know what type of banana it is as it was a gift. I planted it about 2 years ago and it now has many young ones. It seems to be doing well as it is in a nice warm spot in my yard.

Attached Files:

9. LPN

sophie,
    You have Musa basjoo. It was thought to have originated in the southern Japanese, Ryukyu Islands, but was only popularized there. This banana originates in China and is quite popular in many areas of the PNW.

Cheers, LPN.

10. hwchoy

hwchoy Member

actually the bracts of some banana species are good to eat, thinly sliced as a garnishing in salad, especially an "evil-smelling" (according to non-natives) salad made from fermented shrimp paste, fresh fruits and vegs.