homemade soil

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Majentas, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Majentas

Majentas Active Member

Can you reccommend a recipe for soil? I have tried a few, store mixes. NOne of the seem to be very good. They either hold on to water, too much or have no drainage. Some just turn into one big clump! I have a gnat infestation, now. There must be a general recipe I can make on my own?

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The response would have to be appropriate for what you are planning to grow. Many plants prefer much drier soil than others. Tropical species require a mixture that will hold moisture but not stay damp. Some require additional sand, some additional peat and the list goes on. Best if you specify what you wish to grow. Then hopefully you'll receive a good answer.

3. Majentas

Majentas Active Member

Okay...well..I have pretty basic plants. A wandering Jew, Croton, Ivy's, Ficus... and a few others. These are all in the same type of soil and these are the ones infested. I have others..a primrose, cactus that are fine. I' guessing because they are in well drained, aerated soil.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

As a general rule, tropical species (of which some of the ones named are) like extremely porous, well draining soil that will stay moist, just not soggy. I grow several hundred rare species and mix my own "jungle mix". The mixture I use, which was borrowed from other growers, is approximately 50% soil (I prefer a moisture control mix), 20% peat, 20% Perliteâ„¢, and 10% orchid bark which contains charcoal. The charcoal simply helps to keep the soil sweet. It is difficult for this mixture to be packed down hard so the roots always have space to expand.

Once the plants are potted it is important to keep the soil damp, just not soggy. One big problem with "grocery store" mixes is they stay really wet. They are designed for the person who only wants to water once a week, or less! Most tropical species just won't thrive in that type of soil.

As for your non-tropical plants, I would be hesitant to offer advice. We have a nice garden outside (in Arkansas) but my wife tends to that. I take care of the tropical plants in the "rain forest" atrium.

Good luck!

5. alabama

alabama Active Member

When I mix my own soil I use an old recipe I found years ago in an old book. It is simple, 1/3 good garden soil 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 sand. It seems to be a good all-purpose mix. You may add a little lime to sweaten if you like. For acid loving plants I use sand and peat (less sand than peat). I use this on hydrangeas also. Most of the time I overload on the peat and use a little less than 1/3 sand.