Tea Olive Tree/Shrub

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by marylou830, Jul 3, 2007.

1. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

I'm growing a tea olive tree that has more than tripled in size since I planted it two years ago. I'm trying to find out how to get another one started from it. Any suggestions? I can't find anything on google that helps. Can I cut a small lower stem/branch and root it with root hormone?

2. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

I'm replying to my own thread! haha. But, just in case anybody else searches for similar information, I'll post what I found out since I asked the question about starting rootings from this wonderful tree. You can, indeed, cut small 8-9 inch branches from the tree just above a node. The branch should be less than a year old, though. Dip the cut end in root hormone and place in a pot of perlite and peat moss mixed together with an organic mulch of some type, not pure soil. cover the pot with a plastic bottle, or what I did was to take an old bread bag, cut the bottom to fit over the pot, and tape it around the pot to hold in some moisture. Water the soil to be moist and not soggy. Make sure to put a couple of slits in the plastic so as not to let the cuttings mold. If all goes well, you should have rootings in a few months. Be sure to put several cuttings in the pot because chances are, they won't all root.

If anybody wants to add anything to this, please do!