Unidentified growths on my Boston Fern roots

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marylou830, Jul 12, 2007.

1. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

Hi. I just got two beautiful boston ferns that needed to be planted in bigger pots. I soaked the roots in a barrel of water before dividing them because they were so root bound. I found the strangest thing in one of the bundles of roots. There were two large knobby things that looked like very miniature potatoes. I can't think of any other way to describe them. Are these supposed to be there? I left them alone.

Another issue: when I divided the roots, I had to gently tear them with my hands because they were so firmly in place, but I wanted the roots to be able to move through the new soil in the pots. Did I do the wrong thing? Will my new ferns die on me for doing this?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Natural part of the plant. Spreads to make patches where growing in ground.

3. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Yup. When I lived in Jacksonville, boston ferns were sort of a problem--they got into the grass. It's probably prudent to keep the plants in pots.

4. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

An update on my ferns: they're looking fantastic after pulling the roots apart from the tight root-bound mass, and new fronds are coming up already. I'm glad I repotted them. Don't worry, I would never put my beautiful ferns in the ground! As I mentioned, I just wanted information on re-potting them because I to keep them on my porch. I've not seen or heard of any problem with ferns here in eastern Georgia. There are a few in the woods, but only in the shaded areas.