Moving a jasminum nudiflorum

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Alexiamei, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Alexiamei

Alexiamei Member

I know this is not stictly a climber but I am growing it as one. It is about a year and a half since I bought it and recently I moved it to a sunnier position (previously it was in a shady part of the garden and did not produce many flowers in the winter).
    Unfortunately a week or two after I moved it the leaves started turning brown and now the whole thing looks very brown and sad. The stems are still green but they are brown in places. Is it likely to survive or shall I accept my mistake and buy another one to replace it?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Could bounce back later. Keep it looked after and see what happens next year.

3. Alexiamei

Alexiamei Member

Thank you - this is the fastest reply I've ever had. I will try to ignore the jasminum (even though it is right next to my patio and I see it all the time) and leave it be until the autumn when the leaves fall anyway and see what happens.

By the way, I moved three other jasmins (the summer flowering varieties) this year (two of them twice - from the ground to a pot and back into another position) and they are doing really well. Two of them have flowered better than last year. I had to move them because they were growing right next to a couple of climbing roses and I was worried about my roses.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've got a jasmine growing inside a climbing rose. Planting climbers together is just a matter of choosing kinds of comparable vigor and pruning occasionally to maintain order.

5. Alexiamei

Alexiamei Member

But I read everywhere that roses do not like competition around the roots and that's why I moved the jasmins. I wish I hadn't now! Although they have survived I've had to prune them really hard and they have not put on as much growth this year as they should have. These gardening books have a lot of advice in them but some of it is questionable.