I think these are Sedeveria maybe

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, May 14, 2007.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I have two plants that have really changed in the past year and I am not sure what they are. I think the first one is a Sedeveria but I don't know what kind of Sedeveria. And the second on maybe a Pachyveria glauca. As the plants are getting a little more mature, they are looking more and more like the same type of plant. Does anyone out there have an idea what they might be.

By the way, I label my succulents with as much info as I can figure out, sometimes they are labeled correctly, sometimes not, but it helps me keep track of them. They also have a number, which are in order of purchase, so I don't have to change all the names of the pictures I take, and I take a lot of pictures. I have over 80 succulents now, and I just started collecting a year ago. I am just fascinated with them.

Attached Files:

2. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

Hi BBunker,
    Nice looking plants. And that is a great idea that you number them and label them. Once you get a name for them I believe I might have to go searching for some. I too just started collecting succulents about 3 months ago and now I have about 50 different types. I love them but I've had to slow down in purchasing them because my husband started complaining. He's in the military and getting ready to deploy so it might be a good idea to wait til he leaves to purchase more. Ha ha. Again, those are some nice looking plants!!!
    Have a great week!
    Tricia

3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

It sounds like you've been bitten by the "Succulent Bug" too. I got 5 new plants for Mother's Day, so now my family is getting plants along with me buying them. I forsee hitting the 100 mark before the end of the year. My husband plays the game World of Warcraft while I am goofing around with my plants, so he is very supportive of my habit. In fact, he built a big shelving unit outside for them on Mother's Day. It turned out really cool. You will have to let me know what new plants you get after your husband is deployed. It sounds like a shopping trip is in your near future.

4. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I actually visited a few big box stores and a couple of nurseries nearby and found that the first nursery I went to was selling nice sized large leafed jade plants for $3.99 and I had to pick one up. I didn't see anything I didn't already have except for a few that had some dropped leaves I had to pick up. I posted them for identification. Would you mind checking them out? You might be able to ID them.
    Thanks,
    Tricia

5. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I looked at your post and I've never tried to figure out a succulent from just the leaves. It puts things in an entirely different perspective. I think the last one are from a jade plant. It sounds like you got a good deal on the plant you bought.

I had to take one of the plants back that my husband got for me. It was a "Medusae Head" and when I looked it up on the internet, three different sites said it was poisonous if you get the sap on you. It definitely was different looking. I'll put the money toward another plant that isn't so scary.

Attached Files:

6. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

Wow, that is an unusual looking plant. I have some plants that have poisonous sap (dieffenbachia) but my kids and dog knows to stay away from them. Actually, the only person that messes with my plants is me. No one goes near them or they might suffer mom's wrath:) I'm going to more nurseries today just to look. I wonder if I'll find something different.

7. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Just wondering if you ended up finding any new succulents on your trips to your local nurseries?

8. tfrasqueri

tfrasqueri Active Member

I found one very large leafed Jade plant but am always looking for more. I actually just started working and am looking for plant ideas for my desk. Do you have any advice? I'm looking for anything that can do good in low light. I would love to put one of my succulents on my desk but all I have are flourescent lights, no sunlight whatsoever.

9. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Let's see no sunshine at all. That sounds like a job for either mushrooms or a faux succulent (the plastic or silk variety).

10. Wask

Wask Active Member

Could be Dudleya

11. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Looks like it could be a Pachyveria (from the yellow dot a the tip of the leaves). It does have that Dudleya color to it though. :) You will know better when it flowers. Post a pic if/when it does!

Too bad you took that plant back...really neat plant! The sap from a Euphorbia can be toxic & irritate the skin. You don't want to get it on your hands & then transfer to your eyes. It's not poisonous...like it would kill you...unless you eat the whole dern thing! LOL

12. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

It was too scary for me. I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night, knowing it was lurking outside. (ha ha ha) I took back another plant I bought after I went on-line and read about it. It was a Mother of Thousands. When I told a guy at a nursery that I had taken it back, he said that was smart because it was basically a weed that gets into all your garden and you can't get rid of it. Yuck!