Cygon 2e

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by cam, Jun 22, 2004.

1. cam

cam Member

I have approximately 50 Hill's Yews which form a nice hedge and noticed the other day that there are little white fluffy things located mostly at the junction point of the stems and branches. They are approximately 1/8 inch long (no noticeable motion detected). I've been told that they are either mealybugs or some sort of scale and that a systemic insecticide like Cygon works best but it turns out that Cygon is no longer available. Is the unavailability just limited to Ontario or is it all of Canada? Also is there another systemic product other than a topical one that washes off available?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I believe that the few systemics were taken off the market as of last year. Cygon240EC, Lagon2E and Isotox/Latox were the ones that were left until that point as systemics. You may find success with other products such as Safers end all, diatomacoues earth (silicon dioxide) or dormant oils. In an even more Earth sensitive method, plant more berry producing shrubs and plants that form thick branchy havens for birds, they also like to eat bugs thereby reducing your infestations.

cheers.

3. Pauline Allsop

Pauline Allsop Member

We have been using Cygon for several years on our birch trees and lilac bushes, both of which had been heavily infested with leaf miners. Now that Cygon is no longer available, their leaves are starting to show signs of damage again. We think that sprays for large trees would not be a responsible alternative. Can anyone suggest something else that we could use?

Pauline Allsop
    gardener

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

On our local Garden Dr. show on the radio - a reliable professional - the men were talking about a new product from Bayer - I don't recall the exact name.

Systemic.

So safe, it's labeled for edible fruit, and apparently will translocate a good distance upward.

It's out there - just start asking at nurseries and pesticide supply places. May do better in retail on this one.

5. jimmyq

no systemics are available for retail sale in Canada MD, they were removed from the market (not re registered by the manufacturer) at least two years ago including: products containing - dimethoate (cygon, lagon) oxydemeton-methyl (isotox, latox) and last year benlate derivatives (benomyl). This year the Diazinon is gone as of December 31 2004. Also removed were: baygon (propoxur) (couple years ago) and chlorpyrifos. In Canada it seems the gov.t tactic is not to formally ban the substances but to make it so that the producers have to re-register the product and its uses etc every five years or so. They make this registration cost so high that the company would not be able to sell enough product to cover their cost of registration, hence, chemical goes away - at least at the retail level which is a small part of their market apparently. At the commercial level (gov.t licensed applicators, farmers) there are products available but their size and concentration makes it prohibitive for a retail consumer to purchase these products if they were indeed able to do so.

just my .02 worth as a long time retailer with a few industry contacts..

6. Pauline Allsop

Pauline Allsop Member

Thanks for the information about Bayer's new product. I found and article by Marianne C. Ophardt, Washington State University Cooperative Extension. Area Extension Agent, titled "New Pesticide for Control of Shade Tree Insects." The product is called Merit, and the article was very positive about it. We'll try it and see how it works. Again, many thanks.

7. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Orthene

I noticed that nobody mentioned Orthene(Acephate). Is that available in your region?

8. jimmyq

Orthene is available but only in comercial sizes that I know of.

9. Liam

Liam Member

Cam, did you ever get an answer regarding cygon 2e availability. I face the same problem with my Silverbirch and leaf miner. Cygon 2e has been keeping it alive for years.

10. jimmyq

11. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

Your problem with Cygon is not just a Canadian problem . Cygon, Orthene (in liquid form), and Benomyl have all been removed from the market in the US as well.

One wonders why Orthene in powdered form is OK , but the same chemical in liquid form is banned. Frankly, I think it is a conspiracy to promote new and more costly chemicals. I've read nothing about ill effects from either Orthene or Cygon.

I guess I'll have to try the Bayer product. Is there a URL for reading the article about it?

12. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Presumably safety: a liquid is more likely to be consumed accidentally by a child.

13. GRSJr

I wouldn't want to leave the powder around to test the theory. Why must we all be treated like idiots?

14. L8o

L8o Member

Re: Lagon 2e and Latox

Does anyone have a copy of either product info sheet? I moved recently; my product (new, unopened bottles) is intact, but the info sheets are mysteriously missing, and there is naught to be found online. :``(

TIA

L8o

ps: I'm assuming there is no ethereal shelf life on said..

15. GRSJr

Yes. Here is a scan of the instructions. You'll have to use the magnifier in Adobe reader to be able to read it.

I use 3/8 oz/gal on Rhododendron, Azaleas, Smilax, Quince, Magnolia, Roses, and a few other things. Just don't use it on Ilex. All species are damaged by Cygon.

Ray

Sorry, I can't find a way to attach the file, so you'll have to send me your E-mail address and I'll send a copy.

Ray

16. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Same instructions as how to attach images

17. L8o

L8o Member

Re: Lagon 2e and Latox

re:

GRSJr said:

Sorry, I can't find a way to attach the file, so you'll have to send me your E-mail address and I'll send a copy.

Ray
    So sorry, Ray, I cannot utilize the member mail features until I've been here two days. Can you decipher Daniel's 'attachment page'? Make sure you add the www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca domain to your Pop Up Blocker if you have one running in your browser. :`)

Blessings!

L8o

18. GRSJr

Perhaps it will post

Attached Files:

19. L8o

L8o Member

Indeed it did post. Gracious 'Thanks!' to you, Ray.

I've reworked the content from what I could read and have posted it below for you to check validate against the original. Please advise if you find any errors/omissions .. my plan is to print it as a sticky label for the box.

Thanks Again, kind Sir!

L8o

-----------

REQUIRED CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT FOR APPLICATION

All applicators, including homeowners, must wear the clothing and protective equipment as listed.
    • Impermeable gloves (Rubber or plastic covered reinforced gloves).
    • Boots or boot covers.
    • Long-sleeved shirt and long pants.
    • Wide-brimmed hat.
    DIRECTIONS FOR USE: It is a violation of Federal law to use this Product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

ROSES, FLOWERS & ORNAMENTALS:
    DO NOT use on ornamental plants not listed herein.
    DO NOT use on any ornamental stock plants grown as a source of propagation material, such as cuttings, layers, root stocks or scions for grafting or budding.
    DO NOT use in spray mixtures containing oil.

Soil Drench: Apply as a soil drench around the base of plants in early spring at the rate of 4 Tbs. per 1 gallon of water for plants up to 6 feet tall. Increase this rate proportionately for larger plants.

Foliar Spray: Apply two sprays, six weeks apart the first year, followed by annual application soon after first growth begins in Spring.

Paint Method: Undiluted CYGON 2E can be painted on the bark of the tree, which then absorbs the chemical internally, carrying it to the leaves with the sap. Paint a band around the trunk below the lowest branches. The band must be equal in width to the diameter (thickness) of the trunk at the site painted, but no more than 6" in width. Make the first treatment when the buds break. Weather condition is important for correct timing of treatment. If weather is warm and buds break fast, apply when green tips are visible. In cold weather, wait until the leaves have almost completely unfolded. Make a second treatment 6 weeks after the first. DO NOT make more than two treatments per season. Newly planted trees and those with trunks less than 1 inch thick may be injured. DO NOT use on the trunk of any other trees, or severe injury may result.

Spray Mix strength:
    To the following, apply at the rate of 2 tsp. in 1 gallon of water (2 Tbs. in 3 gals.)

Azaleas (Lace Bugs, Leaf Miners, Mites, Tea scale, Whiteflies)
    Birch (Aphids, Leaf Miners) For Leaf Miners ~ apply when leaves are expanded (about mid-May) and repeat in early July. [Paint Method is useful on Birch Leaf Miners.]
    Boxwoods (Leaf Miners, Mealy bugs, Mites) For Leaf Miners ~ apply in spring when leaf miner flies first appear, or in early summer for control of larvae in the infested leaves.
    Camellias (Aphids, Camellia scale, Tea scale)
    Carnations (Aphids, Mites, Thrips)
    Cypress (Bactra moth larvae - Apply as a drenching spray)
    Euonymus (Aphids, Scale)
    Ficus Nitidia (Thrips - DO NOT use on potted plants)
    Gardenias (Tea scale, Whiteflies)
    Gerberas (Thrips)
    Gladiolus (Aphids, Thrips)
    Hemlock (Mites, Scale)
    Holly [English & American: NOT Buford variety] (Leaf Miners, Mites, Soft scale) For Leaf Miners ~ apply in spring when leaf miner flies first appear or in early summer for the control of larvae in infested leaves.

To the following, apply at the rate of 4 tsp. in 1 gallon of water (4 Tbs. in 3 gals.):

Arborvitae (Aphids, Bagworms, Mites)
    Cedar (Mites)
    Day Lilies (Aphids, Thrips)

20. GRSJr

Looks right, but I strongly disagree with the application to Holly. I've found that Cygon 2E harms all Hollies. Don't use it on Holly.

They don't mention that it should be applied to Rhododendron less than 3 weeks before bud break to control the fly that lays her eggs in the bud causing distorted leaves to form. Applying later or earlier is either too late or too early.

21. L8o

L8o Member

Alright then, I'll make those notations in my sticker. Thanks ever so much for all your help, Ray!

Blessings!

L8o :`D

22. jimmyq

FWIW unless you are a licensed pesticide applicator it is technically against the law to use Cygon (dimethoate) as it is no longer registered for use by the general public in Canada. As it stands now there are no systemic insecticides or fungicides registered for retail sale anymore.

23. GRSJr

What about the new Bayer products? They're registered in the US.

24. jimmyq

Hi GRSJr.. up here in Canada a product has to be registered with the Canadian Gov.t for each and any claim made on the label, if its not registered, legally you arent supposed to use it for that purpose. That said, any product that is not registered in Canada, is not legal. I believe it will be confiscated at the border crossing if they become aware that it is being imported.
    Dimethoate (aka Cygon, Lagon) is still available at the commercial level as far as I know. The only product I know about up here from Bayer is Aspirin :)
    Ortho has made a resurgence here as they have bought up a number of other chemical companies over the last few years.

25. jimmyq

I did a bit of digging and found some interesting links:
    to search for a product to see if it is registered for use in Canada:
    http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=34,17551&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

the base page and info site:
    http://www.pmra-arla.gc.ca/english/index-e.html

searchable product info:
    http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=34,6928,34_6960:34_7232&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

and the current Cygon registration for Cygon 480EC (note it is twice the concentration of the former Cygon 240EC that was available for retail sale)
    http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/PR_SOL/pr_web.ve1?p_ukid=6162