Orange & Grapefruit Seedlings

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by deedeezoo, Jul 14, 2007.

1. deedeezoo

deedeezoo Member

Hello out there! I have been growing several seeds for about 2 years now. Not sure which ones are orange and which are grapefruit. I just decided to plant these seeds because the fruit was so sweet and juicy. Well 2 years later, I have repotted them
    (I have about 6 plants) and they are about 1 foot high. The tops are bending and getting dry but the bottoms leaves are very green and healthy. So do I cut the tops, leave them alone, put them in the ground, fertilize them? I heard that you can't fertilize until they goet to 2 feet tall. Advice anyone. I feel like they are my children!!! Thanks. Oh, I live in central Florida.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm afraid you heard wrong. You should have fertilized your tree from the very beginning. For the best results, the slow release fertilizer Osmocote 18-6-12 should have been added to the seedling medium when you planted the seed. Not fertilizing is why you have a two year old tree that is only 1-ft. tall, and now having problems. A two year old seedling citrus tree should be 4-5 feet tall with the foundation branches already set in place. Leave the 1-foot tall top alone, and feed the tree with a fertilizer containing trace minerals. Read the many past posts on this forum, and you will find all the information you require to grow a quality tree. Good luck to the little tree. - Millet

3. deedeezoo

deedeezoo Member

Thank you so much. I will fertilize and see if it helps.