Identification: Indoor plant (cluster of pink flowers)

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by coco51, Jul 13, 2007.

1. coco51

coco51 Member

Hi
    I have an indoor tropical plant that has a cluster of pink flowers. Can anyone identify this plant? The plant has waxy leaves.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Looks like Hoya carnosa

4. newbieplantlover

newbieplantlover Active Member

yea hoya carnosa

5. coco51

coco51 Member

Thats great thank you very much. I appreciate your response coco.

6. wildcattt

wildcattt Member

I have a Hoya as well. Very healthy. Lots of new growth. Lives in front of window soakin in the sun.

Question is.... It's never flowered....

Any idea's???

7. newbieplantlover

A lot of hoyas can take years to bloom... depending one which kind you have it may just not be mature enough.

8. wildcattt

wildcattt Member

Re: HOYA Not Flowering

I'm not too sure how old it actually is. I've had it for about 5 years. And my bud I got it from had it for at least the same.
    But it needs a certain food?????

Here's some Pics

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

How humid is it where your Hoya's living? In Canada, mine never bloomed until I moved it to the bathroom.

10. wildcattt

wildcattt Member

Its not humid here at all. It's desert like. I have very little light in my bathroom...
    I don't think that will work out for me....

thanks though

11. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hoya do better with indirect light. they do need warmth and some humidity, too.

directly in front of a very sunny window will give it the warmth it wants - too much light tho. try moving it to another location - i was told an east- or south-facing window is best.

for humidity you can put the container on a dish filled with stones and put some water in it - just enough to about cover the stones, don't want the water seeping into the pot the plant is in!

if you've got the hoya hanging in a basket, put a small containter of water on top of the soil. i use the little measuring cups that come with the cough syrup - they can be easily hidden by the leaves.

12. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I just checked TROPICOS (a service of the Missouri Botanical Garden) which is a recognized botanical source of information on plant species. There are well over 200 species of Hoya, closer to 300. Since I grow only one, I could not make a guess at which species your plant may be. However, I also checked a couple of botanical source books and found the species requires an "average of 4 hours of sunlight each day in order to bloom". That would indicate direct sunlight or at least the strongest you can provide.

My original information on this species came from Tom White who is a botanist for the State of Florida and owner of a tropical plant nursery in South Florida. Tom advised at that time to grow it in direct sunlight. That is not to say it won't bloom in lower light conditions, it may. But according to both a botanist and botanical source information Hoya needs higher amounts of light.

One of my source books also recommends watering the plant thoroughly and then allowing it to almost completely dry before watering again. High humidity is considered important.

13. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I decided this morning to do a little more reading on Hoya sp. in some of the botanical reference material found in my library. The common names for Hoya is the "Wax plant", "Wax Vine" and "Porcelin Flower". Members of the genus Hoya, are also members of the milkweed family, Asclepiadaceae. The vast majority of Hoya grown in the the United States are cultivars (hybrids) of one species, Hoya carnosa. The semi-glossy leaves are covered with a layer of waxy substances known as the "cuticle". A few other species, including Hoya multiflora, Hoya australis and Hoya bella are also grown and hybridized.

Hoya develop and grow best under bright light intensities and temperatures of 68 to 75°F. High humidity and good ventilation (air movement) are preferred by the species. In very cool temperatures plants can become dormant or die. An acceptable temperature range is condidered between 68 to 90°F.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  14. newbieplantlover

I have 6 different species of Hoyas and they all seem to like fairly similar situations. Most are in east facing windows that recieve full morning sun but no hot afternoon sun. They all stay fairly humid though I live in kamloops so its not overly so. From your pictures I can say they are almost certainly Hoya Carnosa. These do like to become quite dry before watering again but not bone dry all the way through. They can take upwards of 7 years to bloom so if its growing well other then that I would say just be patient and it will probably happen soon.

15. Chester

What kinds of Hoyas do you have? Difficult to obtain different kinds in Canada, so curious what you have, and where you acquired them...

16. newbieplantlover

I have regular carnosa, Carnosa krimson queen and krimson princess, DS-70 (tsangii), serpens, bella and lacunosa. I ordered most of them from a place in saskatoon called Pike Lake Greenhouses. I HIGHLY recommend buying from him if you do decide you want some more. All his plants arrived happy and healthy and very full. I got one of my KQs and my KP at walmart believe it or not... hehe they were cheap too. Home Depot in kamloops has a whole bunch of KQs right now.

17. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I have mine in full afternoon sun, around 4 hours, and they seem to be flowering no problem, and our sun gets pretty hot over here i Aus in the sutropics (today 28 degrees celcius, winter at the moment). The only effect I've noticed since putting them in afternoon sun is that the leaves turn purple instead of green, which adds a bit more colour....its when the leaves turn black that I'll worry!!! LOL

Ed

18. Chester

Thanks for the tip about the greenhouse. I'll try them out.