Out with the old,

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Woodsprite, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

My tri-leaved arrowhead vine is two years old and has only had up to 6 leaves at one time. Every time a new one unfurls, the oldest one dries up.

I have it growing in soil with good drainage in a 4in. terracotta pot. Water only when soil gets dry because fungus is a problem. It sits in my living room, on a bookshelf facing two eastern windows and a northern one on the side. I don't see any gnats yet.

Would hate to lose it, I brought it home from Hawaii Christmas of 2005 on a visit to see my grandsons.

thanx

nancy

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

try hanging it infront of the window .. it may not be getting enough sun .. and I really wouldnt use a terra cotta pot for that type of plant ..just use a regular type ..

Marn

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Marn,

I may have the type of pot wrong, it is simple clay...I think. Is that what you mean by regular?

I did just move it in front of an eastern window, so I hope we are both right here.

Nancy

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This plant does not like to dry out or have a wet pot. It likes to be evenly moist. A 4 inch pot sounds small for two year old plant of this type. Not sure why fungus is a problem. Perhaps purchase a different type of potting soil?

5. Marn

terra cotta pots are the clay pots... like eric said they dont like to dry out and with the clay pots that makes them dry out faster .. Cacti and such love them pots..

Marn

6. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Eric, so far this plant hasn't grown...My tri-leaved arrowhead vine is two years old ... I think I am wrong about the age of the actual plant but this is a cutting I brought home from Oahu Feb. of 2006 and has only had up to 6 leaves at one time. Every time a new one unfurls, the oldest one dries up. As far as the fungus, Maine has a warm/wet spring/summer so humidity inside my home can be a problem.

Marn, I'll try a different pot...

Nancy

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  7. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Just an update on this thread. I did transplant my little tri-leaved into a plastic pot and it seems to like it much better than the clay. It hadn't grown much until november when it grew a new sprout from the base. Was I happy! It has grown steadily yet slowly, has seven (count 'em 7!!!) leaves on the main plant and hasn't lost any older leaves since.

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i had a piece of arrowhead vine that i snitched from a plant at work...had it in a little vase to get the roots going. it was in my livingroom - some sun, not too much though.

it rooted really well and then it sat there for YEARS - growing a new leaf and losing an existing one. basically just maintained itself.

this went on for 5 years until i finally learned what it was (hadn't know) and did some googling for info.

as soon as i knew it would do well in bright lighting, i moved it and that little sucker took off!!!

i never did plant it in soil...so, when i moved it to the kitchen, i put it in a little larger vase. that thing was growing so quick that i had to move it into an even larger container within a couple of months!

it was putting out new leaves, new shoots and then it started vining. in two years, it's increased in size (from the orginal 3-4 leaves on one stem) at least by 12x. i've given 3 or 4 people cuttings in trades and i've now got it split into two containers.

these guys DEFINITELY like the sun!!! so put it in a fairly sunny spot - i've got mine in a west-facing window.

they also like water - so, keep the soil evenly moist.

i just picked up a different variety at the grocery store last week - half a dozen leaves planted in a 3 inch pot. the leaves were a couple inches tall at most. it's already grown about an inch in height...in just 10 days or so. it's in the same window as the other one - as opposed to no natural light and very little artificial light at the store.

yeah, sunlight makes a difference with these guys!

9. Marn

That is cool that it is doing good .. glad to hear that .. I bet it was that it just didnt like that pot .. Those pots are good for cactus and succulants..

Im sure the plant will pick up now and grow good ..

Marion