Fig Tree CPR

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by cfmarino, Jul 11, 2007.

1. cfmarino

cfmarino Member

We were given a fig tree which has grown to 18 inches in a planter. We then transplanted the fig tree in our yard and it has wilted and appeared to be dying. We then took what was left and put it in water to root it and hopefully resurrect it. Is there any hope? Are there things we can do?

We are novices in this area as you probably can guess. We live in Florida northeast of Tampa.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i would say take as many cuttings as possible and place them in a pot of moist not wet soil and than place in a shady area if you have enough cuttings place some in a clear bag over them if you put the main plant in water i would think it will rot the roots they can take drought better than they can wet soil.i would place the plant in well drained soil and place in a shady area if you are getting rain no rain here of any amount to matter in some time i would protect it from that until you get some good growth shay area protected from rain. plants will look the same if they donot have enough water they wilt or if they have to much water they wilt also. so could it be that you put it in too large of a container and over waterd it ? just a few thoughts hope it helps sure there will be others along to give some ideas too

3. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

In order for figs to do well in Fla. they have to be certain types. Figs that do well in northern areas will not live in Fla. I suggest you do a search for 'Florida Figs' and see what you come up with.
    Gene