Pear tree no fruit

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sylgardener, Jul 10, 2007.

1. sylgardener

sylgardener Member

My pear tree has next to no fruit this year. The last owner pruned it harshly in the fall and now this year it has tons of little branches growing straight up to the sky. I was told that these little branches are the reason there is no fruit but how and when do I take off those little branches?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Fruit must be preceeded by flowers but with a harsh pruning, many, most, or all the flower buds have been removed (they are formed during the previous late summer). The new vigourous branches are the tree's response to being over pruned. So...the reason there is no fruit and lots of new growth was due to bad pruning.

Read up on fruit tree pruning before attacking it
    Clemson Factsheet
    pruning negelected pear and apple tree
    When to prune a pear tree

3. sylgardener

sylgardener Member

Thank you for your reply. So as you say the blooms are produced the previous summer for the following year, I want to remove all those suckers but is it too late now? Will the blooms that exist be removed or will there be none on the suckers? Thank you for the links, I just had that one question which didn't seem to be answered at those links.

Thanks again!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tree has been whacked, needs to be rebuilt. Don't just keep mowing off sprouts.

5. sylgardener

sylgardener Member

Thank you