Wild cherry tree with dying leaves & amber gum

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by GraceHO, Jul 9, 2007.

1. GraceHO

GraceHO Member

Need advice about a large wild cherry tree that has some sort of amber gum on the branches and the leaves are dying. This is happening in a random pattern all over the tree. I’ve attached pictures. This tree is growing on an undeveloped piece of land that is partly wetland. Some of the tree’s branches hang over onto my property, and there is a younger wild cherry tree on my land that was there before the property was developed for my house. Also, I have recently planted several apple and pear trees in that area. Since my trees are within 30 feet of this tree I am concerned with what this tree has, if it will affect the other trees, and what should I do since it is not my tree.

Attached Files:

2. kbs

kbs Member

I planted a weeping cherry tree in my front yard......It has some yellow leaves and the insects are attacking it. Wonder what I should do?

3. GraceHO

GraceHO Member

I took a branch sample of this tree to near by college extension and they told me it was fire bright and gave me info on taking care of this. I don't agree with them that it is fire bright, since the pictures of fire bright doesn't have a gummy ooze, but a blacken canker. Also I notice fire bright is listed under apples and pear trees not the cherry. The extension gave me a hand out about what to use for getting rid of fire bright. My question is what if I use this on this bacterial canker and it’s not fire bright will it help?

4. kbs

kbs Member

I have not a clue......I tend to be better with the flower bed kind of stuff!!! Trees are not my forte!!! If you get any extra info. pass it along. I did just what the guy at the store told me to do. I don't know if I would put it on there or not. Is the tree in front of your house or is it just growing wild behind your house in the woods? I would not want to ruin it and the look in my yard! Ya know?

5. GraceHO

GraceHO Member

<<Is the tree in front of your house or is it just growing wild behind your house in the woods? I would not want to ruin it and the look in my yard! Ya know? >>

The tree is to the side of the house and is not THAT noticable. If this disease needs to be removed before it affects the other trees and I don't do something it sure will ruin the other trees and then be very noticable.