Soil-less planting?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rhynno, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Soil-less planting is very possible and is gaining in popularity. There are several ways to do this. Certainly, you have discovered one of them. If you do a web search on various hydroponics techniques, you will find much information. Another application is for the aquarium. One can float terrestrial plants on the top of the water and/or use them in the shallow regions of a large tank to simulate a shoreline...both techniques not only make the aquarium more attractive, but also consume fish wastes to aid in filtration.

For those with allergies to soil-borne fungi, soil-less gardening is a nice option for the indoor gardener. In addition, once the techniques have been mastered, the plants are often more healthy than those planted in soil.

3. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Wow, thank you! I should have known to look online for some more ideas for this :) haha. I found an amazing webpage on growing Orchids this way. I'm all pumped now to try it out down the road.

Thank you,

-Ryan

4. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Very nice pictures of some very nice art pieces. I think I'll try this out!

Nancy

5. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Hi Nancy,

I'm glad to hear that another person's going to give it a go :). I should also tell you that the book I got the idea from said to start with small plants that have been grown in soil because they tend to do better. I wasn't sure if I believed the books as I've ran into other sources saying the opposite but if my experiences are any indication, the book's right. My ivy that I changed from soil to water are growing great! My impatiens cuttings are growing a lot slower.

Best of luck :)

-Ryan