Scheflerra...okay for bonsia?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Woodsprite, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I have some small cuttings of a Scheflerra (sp.) which I am rooting in water. I saved them from a plant which I had dropped and shocked to the point that it somewhat dwarfed. Can I turn them into bonsia?

Thanks

Nancy

2. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

Definitely yes. I have a schefflera literati. Scheffleras can be trained clasped into rocks.

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

everlasting,

Great! I am so excited about applying my artistic creativity to my passions: sculpting and planting! Any advice?

4. everlasting

My suggestion is let your scheffleras grow first before shaping them. If you decide to clasp it in a rock, wrap it with gardener's tape and put it in a pot and cover it with soil for the root to grow.

5. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

everlasting,
    Do you mean to wrap the roots around the rock first, then wrap tape around and plant the whole thing?
    I have a tiny one, only 3 inches tall and a larger one about 7 inches. They have a head start...they each have nice curves!

6. everlasting

Let your schefflera grow first before you decide to shape it into bonsai. Yes, if you want to train it in a rock, you have to spread the roots in the rock and cover it with plastic. Actually, it would depend on how you want to shape it and also on how it turned out as it grow. Even if we want to clasp it into a rock but the form does not look good for that style, you have to look for another shape for that plant. you will only kill it if you insist.