Mosquito problems

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Aromatica, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Aromatica

Aromatica Member

There are just too many mosquitos in our garden. I really want to do something about it the ecological way. I want to introduce American Bullfrogs into the garden. Does anybody out there think it's a cool idea or has better suggestions? We have a Deer Lake close by our house that has many frogs, but they don't help around the residential area.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You mean the locally invasive American bullfrog (BC Government factsheet on the bullfrog)?

No, not a good idea.

For what it's worth, I think the number of mosquitoes in Burnaby is the highest it's been in the seven years I've lived there. I grew up in Manitoba, so I personally don't think it's a big deal - and I suspect the problem will go away soon enough with the heat. In the meantime, though, perhaps growing your own mosquito repellent (or planting some from a nursery) is the way to go.

3. Aromatica

Aromatica Member

That sounds like a better idea! Thanks Daniel!

I have grown Nepeta cataria before, but my mom thinks it's useless and pulled it out.
    It took me a long time to grow it from seed. Do you think you know where they might sell it in Vancouver?

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

It's never a good idea to introduce a different species into an environment, it eventually always seems to cause a problem.

5. bioramani

bioramani Member

http://journeytoforever.org/edu_homer.html
    gives info on Citronella. When grown in the garden seems to keep mosquitoes away.

There are many repellent creams using the essential oil from this in India.

bioramani

6. Aromatica

Aromatica Member

Thanks Bioramani! I went and bought Citronella, Lemon Basil and Catnip today.

Where can I find Lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus) or tea tree oil?

Also, as I shopped for thest plants, I saw a spider web on top of the Lemon Basil section with a mosquito in it. I wonder what range their aura covers.