Can someone ID this plant in my yard?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tracyballard, Jul 2, 2007.

1. tracyballard

tracyballard Member

Can someone tell me what kind of plant this is, and the best way to remove it and replace with something else like a nanking cherry?

[​IMG]

thanks!

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like a type of pampas grass. If it is,... a lot of hard digging. Tie the green part up so you don't get cut by it and start hacking. Mattock (hoe type implement works well. I would not burn it off as you are too close to a fence but that is another way to get a lot of the dry stuff out. Otherwise with gloves on the dry stuff should tugg out. Makes good compost. If and when you have it out wait for a while to make sure it does not come again. Dig your hole over well and add compost and some good manure so the spot is ready for a winter planting of your chosen cherry tree. Don't forget cherries are cool area trees.

Liz

Liz

3. seaholly

seaholly Member

I'll agree, pampas grass. And it definately can get ugly trying to remove it. We use a chainsaw and slice it off at the base then dig up the roots. Good luck.

4. ksmith

ksmith Active Member

Yes good luck with that. We used a chain and a large truck to pull them out. Have fun with that.