Watering In Heatwave

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by lanarkcp, Jun 27, 2007.

1. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

Hello,
    We are just having a discussion. Some people think it is unadvisable to water during high temperatures. This seems counter intuitive to me. Is this an old wive's tale?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Watering in hot weather can be a bad thing, as most of the water evaporates very quickly, leading to wastage and high water bills. But equally, the cooling effect of the evaporation can be very beneficial to a drought-stressed plant.

4. lanarkcp

lanarkcp Active Member

I can understand the water wastage angle and will consider it in relation to the dryness of the plants. We have our own well and don't worry too much about the don't-water edicts of the towns nearby -- on the other hand, we have to pay to pump it above ground. I have printed a copy of 'Watering Plants on a Hot Sunny Day will Scorch Their Leaves' to pass around.

Thank you for your replies.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

We have been advised to water early morning here to get maximun water retention by plants. I always thought it was evening. The other BIG thing to overcome heatwave/drought conditions is mulching. I cannot stress this enough having just come through an entire summer where my garden was not allowed to be watered except things in pots. Sprinklers are definatly a museum piece. Hand held hosing was banned in many areas or restricted to twice a week [shut off nozzels only] in the morning 2 hour period. Overwatering makes roots stay near the source of water. It is a good idea to encourage plants to go deep with their roots to seek water. Particularly trees and shrubs. Many areas of Australia are or were till recently in a 10 year drought period. Some of the ideas that have come forth to help gardens is amazing.

Some useful info on theis PDF

http://www.schoolparents.canberra.net.au/ACTDET Established Tree Watering.pdf

Liz