Odd Flower, Id Help please?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by VanBurenme, Jun 29, 2007.

1. VanBurenme

VanBurenme Member

This flower is blooming in my backyard here in maine right now. We are in the Far North of maine (as far as it gets before you hit Canada LOL) At first we thought it was a rose but when it bloomed it looked like no rose I knew and it has NO thorns. The buds look like rose buds but the flower doesnt. It seems similar to our Native Beach Rose in the Acadia Nat. Park region but we are about 300 miles form there. There are not other plants in this area that look like this either. People keep asking me what it is, so I figured I would come here for help!

Attached Files:

2. VanBurenme

VanBurenme Member

PS. the sticks that are showing are not part of the plant they are part of an annoying and soon to be removed dead tree that is above it, but I couldnt hold back the tree and take a pic at the same time

3. busybea

busybea Active Member

don't know the latin name but t looks like a peony my garden is full of ufo's drives me crazy the people here are great ,helps me lots they will know.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: herbaceous peony. Many kinds. Some seen are probably unnamed seedlings, ones looking like they might be such are used as rootstocks for tree peonies.

5. VanBurenme

VanBurenme Member

I thought peony's were small this thing is HUGE!!! The blooms are as big as my 2 hads cupped together....

6. busybea

busybea Active Member

yes mine is white the blooms are so big they fall over on the ground would like to know how to stop this from happening.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Put a wire ring round the whole clump of stems.