Looking for a right JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by hanl, May 22, 2007.

1. hanl

hanl Active Member

Hi all,
    I am very grateful if anyone can help me to find a right JM for my front yard. I am living in Utah, which is Zone 5. I think a red foliage and about 10-12ft tall JM is perfect for this pot. So, please I need your value advices and recommendation. What JM do I need, and where the best place to get it? Thanks million.

2. STi

STi Active Member

Shin deshojo- greens up in summer but all new shoots are fire engine red!
    Bloodgood- get's larger but stays Maroon all year

3. hanl

hanl Active Member

Thanks STi,
    Since ShinDeshojo is good for Zone 6. I really don't know if it is o.k for our area (Utah-Zone5). But I have check out ShinDeshojo image...it is really beautiful JM on Autumn. Do you have any other recommend?

4. STi

STi Active Member

I have a Shin Deshojo in zone 5 with a nice mulch blanket around it and it does fine!

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi I have disseticum Purple and Red Filigree Lace very beautiful and hardy!!alex

6. hanl

hanl Active Member

Thanx Alex. Let me check it out if we have it on our nearby nursery home.

7. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    why not go for something different, and try Acer griseum, the leaves are red/brown when opening, with yellow flowers, also it boasts lovely fall colors, even in winter it does not let you down, with orange brown peeling bark, it is one of the great maples, give it a try!

Ashizuru............

8. hanl

hanl Active Member

Do you think Acer griseum will be good on the front yard? It looks very nice but I am afraid it will be a very big tree since the average size about 25-30 ft tall. Do you have a picture of your Acer griseum that you can share to us?

9. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

They grow very slowly Hani
    This is mine after 10 years, and it was about 5 feet high when I bought it

Attached Files:

10. hanl

hanl Active Member

what a beauty foliage. Thanks for sharing.

11. hanl

hanl Active Member

Alex,
    This question is for you, so please help me out. Can you id a JM that has a very red foliage, palmate type, 7 lobes leave, but the trunk color is white. I saw this tree at many different location, it is about 4-5 ft tall. I really like that tree, but unfortunately I don't know the name. Once again, please help me..!

12. alex66

Tegmentosum Joe Witt (not Palmatum)is the only maple whit white trunk that i know avaible by Stanley and Soons,Broken Arrow nurseries is a very beautiful maple not avaible in Europe (sig ,sig) in the site of Stanley and Soons there is a beautiful pics..
    ciao hanl write again! alex

13. hanl

hanl Active Member

I just bought a Shin Desjoho today, they won't ship it until September. The tree is about 3.5 ft tall, but cost me almost $160. I heard a lot of good thing about this tree, but I haven't seen it before.
    Do you know anything about this tree? Any particular JM do you like best? How many JM do you have at home? Sorry I have asked so many question! :)

14. alex66

my favorite Jm is 'Koshi mino'(is avaible variegated Hazemorino)at the moment my favorite is Capillipes Nishiki N°1, but in my aceretum I have many acer not palmatum I prefer big leaves Platanoides or peseudo platanus my favorite American maple is Saccarum Leucoderme N°1 the second is Pensylvanicum Ertrhocladum (very red bark striped white)chinese maple favorite is Caesium Giraldii ;native in my country Opalus .In this moment I have 75 maple in my collection this number is low (but I 'm young)Esveld have 800! yes 800 maple in aceretum my friend Gomero 300 etc.etc.

15. hanl

hanl Active Member

All of your favorite maples which I never heard before. 75 maples that is alot already. I can't imagine that if you have 700-800 maple tree? It would be very beautiful scene I guess, but I bet they must have a very very giant yard.
    P.S: I just bought a Red Dragon, it should be here tomorrow, I am very excited so that I coundn't sleep last nite...hihihihih

16. hanl

hanl Active Member

I did ordered a size 4 Shindeshojo @ MountainMaples. It will be delivered in Fall, I can't wait to see it. Thanks for your recommendation! By the way, do you have a pictures of your Shin Deshojo?

17. hanl

hanl Active Member

Here is a My Red Dragon. Hopefully you can view it.

Attached Files:

18. xman

xman Active Member

hanl,

That is a beautiful tree and huge. Did you get it at a local nursery? I have a red dragon for one season now, and it is about 3 ft tall, but they are said to be slow growers. What is that yellow plant in the foreground(bottom left corner)? Is that a Sumac "BailTiger"?

thanks,
    xman

19. hanl

hanl Active Member

Hi Xman,
    I bought that Red Dragon couple days ago at our local nursery. I hope it will be red in Fall. How long do you have yours? Do you like it?
    Yes, that is a Tiger's Eyes, gold medal this year 2007. This is one of my favorite!

20. xman

xman Active Member

hanl,

I have my red dragon for about a year and a half. I got it in fall of 05 from a nursery in OR. It did ok last year in the TX heat, but had a lot of dieback due to the drought and heat in TX. Its doing well this year and has gotten back all the growth it had lost due to the die back, but I have it in the shade this year. Red dragon in supposed to be one of the most desirable of the red leaf dissectums, and supposed to have a very nice red during the growing season as well as in fall.
    I have a 2 gallon tiger eyes that I bought late last year, it is in the shade so does not have the coloring as yours.
    How tall is your red dragon, from the picture it appears to atleast 10 feet tall, or is it just the angle?

xman

21. hanl

hanl Active Member

My Red Dragon is about 5 ft tall. Here in Utah is very hot right now too ( around 100F), so I am little worry about it, since I planted it in partial shade.
    Tiger Eyes is very easy to take care, and it loves full sun I guess.
    Do you have any other JMs? I have ordered a Shindeshojo on line, I really don't know how it is gonna look like, but it is very good on Spring I heard!