Identification: I need a plant identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Hello all,

I bought a plant from K-mart and it was sold to me as a cactus. It never came with identification or directions. When I bought it, it was about 2 inches tall. It is now 7 inches tall. The "trunk" of the plant is about a quarter of an inch in diameter and it has what I would call buds that protrude from all sides of the plant about a half an inch apart. The trunk of the plant and the buds are the same color and texture. They are both very smooth and green. The plant doesn't seem to like to be touched since the buds fall off easily and do not grow back. The existing buds are continually growing bigger but new buds only form at the top of the plant. The buds look like a tear drop from an aerial view but are very round and like an oval from the side. At one point I left it in full sun assuming that would be all right because it was a cactus, it made some of the buds turn brown only at the parts closest to the sun. Now I have it in partial sunlight and it seems to be doing better. It is a quirky looking plant but very nice in my opinion. I really want to know how to care for it so it doesn't die (it is currently growing in the bonsai soil left behind after I killed my poor bonsai). Please help

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Your plant sounds like some sort of succulent. Can you post a picture?
    Newt

3. luxor2002

luxor2002 Member

It sounds like a succulent to me too. And on another note, I always use fresh soil rather than soil from another plant (like your permanently dormant bonsai) just in case there is something in the soil that contributed to it's early demise. Just a thought. Happy gardening and good luck with the plant id.

4. Its a jade plant!!!! tear shaped buds. then again im only 13 but im almost shure because i have 4 of these im bonsai training and the brown you saw was actually red. when left in full sun a jade grows red leaf borders. To confirm if its a jade plant see if it has fat leaves that are watery

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2005