Aphids

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Shishi, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Hi,

All of my maples are starting to leaf out and I notice a lot of small bugs (I assume to be aphids) laying eggs on the leaf buds and under the new leaves, especially on my Shishigashira and Aureum.

What can I do to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance for your reply and assistance.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I use "white oil"is a product OK for biological farming ;I repeat after one week or more .

3. Jan M

Jan M Member

Shishi, I used Pruzit (Ecostyle) lately, its biological stuff, seems to be OK as last week I had same problem on few of my acers, the Pruzit was advised already by a fellow forummember here, sorry cannot find the previous subject/post anymore. You can also hose the aphids off with water, I prefered to use Pruzit available at any garden centre I suppose. (at least here in my country)
    I had a huge amount of those aphids, they were black and round, they tight mostly under the buds or leafs, since I sprayed most are gone, I had to spray 2 times.
    Plants are OK here I suppose, I had those aphids on my Acer Ueno Yama, Higasayama, Oridono Nishiki and on Asahi Zuri. All continue setting out new leafs here.

4. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Someone has suggested using ladybugs. Will ladybugs harm the maples or just get rid of the aphids?

5. alex66

Ladybugs is very good for me, in Italy use ladybugs for apple, but is no easy to find them(in Italy) for small use...

6. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Hi Alex66:

Thanks, I will go and purchase some ladybugs soon.

7. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Insectidal soap is very effective on aphids and non-toxic. Or you can simply spray soapy water on them.

8. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

Dawgie: will soapy water harm the maples or leave any type of residue or any other side effects?

Thanks

9. J.Onstott

J.Onstott Active Member

Here is another post that is inquiring about pests on maple buds... could these be some sort of aphid?

10. alex66

If you use soap ,spray at 5/6 am or 19/20pm,or soap+water+sum = leaves brown/flame. For me this method is well if acer not have leaves again Ciao alex

11. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can rinse the residue off of the plant after an hour or so, and not apply in sunlight. May have to apply a second time if the eggs hatch later.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

First find out what the bugs are. Take samples to local Extension office or Master Gardener clinic.

13. Shishi

Shishi Active Member

The bugs are definitely aphids and I have purchased ladybugs to hopefully eradicate them the "natural" way but so far, there are still a lot present. I may purchase another package (approx. 1500 ladybugs in a package) this weekend before I try the soap and water.

Chimera: The soap and water will not harm the tree, leaves, and buds in anyway?

14. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Don't be too impatient
    And don't be expecting instant miracles from the bugs.......

15. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chimera: The soap and water will not harm the tree, leaves, and buds in anyway?[/QUOTE]

Not as far as i know, have just used insecticidal soap on plants and rinsed it off after an hour or so. Think i may have killed one pink and white leaved maple when i forgot to rinse it off in time and the sun had come out for a while. As others have mentioned maybe a biologically safe dish detergent and water would work well, use "Ivory" dish soap here. See a recipe for soap, water and vinegar on this site www.vegansociety.com/html/animals/care/pest_control.php , maybe worth trying. Would be interesting to hear of any experience with the recipe. With the ladybugs , the larvae eat the aphids, not the adults is my understanding. Don't know if the larvae are sold or if you have purchased adults, nor how fast they reproduce. Have collected ladybug larvae from rugosa roses in late spring and early summer, if i remember right, and put them in seedling flats for aphids.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  16. alex66

Hi I read in another thread that,the ladybugs when aphids finish "lady" fly in another garden ,I don't know your garden if is small or big ,if is small for me use common pesticide .if big no problem "lady" remain....

17. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

I too have read that ladybugs tend to "scatter" when released as opposed to staying nicely in your garden where you want them, so may be more practical in a large commercial application. I have also read that they navigate by the sun, so are more apt to stay where they were released if they are released after sundown or before sunrise.

18. Meghengi

Meghengi Member

According to Ed Hume a good fix for aphids is to urinate in a cup with some dish detergent. Spray the plants with mixture. This will not harm the plants and should kill the aphids.