uses of fragrant flowers

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by august00west, Jun 27, 2007.

1. august00west

august00west Member

I have many tropical, fragrant plants in my backyard (i.e. jasmine, viburnum) and would like to bring the smell of these plants inside without actually having the plants inside. Is there a way for a novice gardener to harves tthe flowers of these plants to scent his/her house. I have a device that is used to burn oilsby candle light, can u somehow grind these flowers into a powder and burn them. I guess im just trying to find a way to extract the scent from these plants if possible.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Varies with the type. Some scented flower parts are used dried, rose petals for instance. You'll have to check out each kind you have there, find out what its uses are on an individual basis.

3. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

I wouldn't set anything on fire all you will smell is smoke!
    To extract the essential oil (fragrance) from plants and flowers requires distillation.
    Why not purchase essential oils and wear them ,the fragrance will be with you constantly,well, until you take a bath!

Mints,lavenders ,scented geraniums,verbenas,rose petals may be crushed gently in your hands and placed in a vessel on the able.Or sewn into a sachet and tucked into drawers or under your pillow.