Question About My Pepper Plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Justin.Philip, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Justin.Philip

Justin.Philip Member

I have about a dozen pepper plants growing outside in contains on my balcony and a single pepper plant growing inside on my kitchen windowsill. All these plants were started from seed at the same time but the one that I have growing inside has started to get small flower buds. The ones growing outside are showing no signs of doing these. Both the inside and outside plants are healthy looking and the inside plant is the same height and size as the outdoor plants. I live in Florida where it is hot so I figured the plants growing outside would be doing a lot better than the indoor plant. All the plants are facing west so they are getting the same amount of sunlight. Is it too hot outside for the plants or is there something I need to do? The plants are young, I only started them a few months ago. I am not really interested in getting fruit yet since they are young still. I am just wondering why one is starting to flower and the rest are not. Thanks.

2. beau_123

beau_123 Member

hello justin,
    i live in the south as well so i know how hot it gets during summer days, if you started the plants from seeds outdoors from the begining they may be growing slower than the one not in full direct sun. this is because you should start peppers (and most other container vegetables and fruits) inside until they have grown their second set of true leaves, then you have to harden them off (putting them outside in sun for a few hours each day until they are strong enough to be outside all the time). so if you started the ones outside without them being inside first then they will probably produce fruit later on and grow more slowly. so im saying the ones outside will most likely produce fruit and flower eventually. i hope ive helped-beau