Beginner help please =P

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by serj.t.s, Jun 23, 2007.

1. serj.t.s

serj.t.s Member

Whats wrong with these plants? In the first pick the leaves are turning yellow(are they simply getting old?). And in the second plant, the faster growing one(they are actually two that grew together), the new leaves look like they are drying. Maybe i'm overwatering the plants. Btw they are blackberry plants. Also in the second plant is there a problem having two plants that close? They are stalk to stalk.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

serj--a challenge trying to grow these in a container, I guess it's possible but tougher than in the ground.

What sort of soil is in the container, and what are your fertilizers?

Make sure the drain holes are open as well!

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

They look hungry to me.

Liz

4. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Most likely a problem of overwatering/underwatering...symptoms are almost identical. In the first picture there I notce that the veins are greein while the rest of the leaves are yellow. This usually happens when there is a lack of iron in your soil...this condition is known as chlorosis. Check out your local garden centre for some iron chelate or another product that will add iron to your soil. I also agree with Liz that they do look hungry, give a shot of some 20-20-20 fertilizer.

Eric

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This is a mite infestation. Characteristic stippled pattern, plus you can even see the webbing and the mites themselves where the leaf stalk meets the leaf blade in the top left photo.