Tree with very small single yellow flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Cynthie, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Cynthie

Cynthie Member

We have a tree that is about 4 years old and 5' tall. It has pointy maple type leaves but I don't think it is a maple. Where the leaf starts there are very small (about 1/2") single yellow flower that looks like a tiny tulip to me. It is multi stemmed and very straight. Can anyone tell me what it is?

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe Liriodendron tulipifera ? A pic may help.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Abutilon perhaps?

HTH
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Cynthie

Cynthie Member

I don't think that is it. Each leaf has 3 long, pointy ends, not rounded. I don't have the equipment to send photos, sorry.

5. Cynthie

Cynthie Member

We are in zone 6, MA. It is quite hardy.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Are you sure it is a tree, or is it a shrub? Do all the stems come off a central trunk or do they all come out of the ground separately? Are new shoots growing from the base, or just from the top? Do the leaves fall off in winter? Does it bloom before or after it leafs out? What happens after flowering - berries, seed pod...?

7. Cynthie

Cynthie Member

There is a central trunk with branches starting near the bottom and going straight up. There are smaller branches off of them. It loses the leaves in winter and this is the first year we have seen flowers. The flowers are very small and came out after the leaves. It leafs out quite early. The flowers are yellow and tulip looking but only about 1/2" big. The leaves look like maple leaves but not rounded at all on the ends. The ends are very pointy. There are no other branches coming from the ground. It is about 4 years old and I haven't a clue what it is. Yes, I did buy it but forgot what it was called. It is quite drought tolerant and has been on a hill in full sun. Thanks for you help with this.

8. Cynthie

Cynthie Member

It still has flowers so I don't know about berries. I will try to find someone to take a picture of it.

9. ogcujo

ogcujo Member

Did you ever find out what it is? I think I might have two, but also don't know the name. I can get some pix & I'll be back. You can email me at ogcujo@aol.com

10. ogcujo

ogcujo Member

Is this it?

Attached Files:

11. Cynthie

Cynthie Member

No, I am sorry, but that isn't it. The leaves are not so deeply cut. They look just like maple leaves. I am not sure it is a tree or shrub. It is about 6' tall now and has only one trunk. I will get pictures this week.