where in the lower mainland/ greater vancouver area is the best to buy palms?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by abbotsfordpalmman, Jun 23, 2007.

1. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

hey everyone,

Well some of you may have seen my abbotsford palm collection pics. I think i have become somewhat obsessed some would say. I am wondering however, where is the best place to find palms in the lower mainland or greater vancouver area. Another question, what varieties would you suggest to grow in my abbotsford area. Luckily for me i live in a super sheltered area protected from all winds on all sides with the exception of winds from the south. I understand we enjoy much warmer summertime growing conditions with favour palms, but in the winter are just those 2 or 3 degrees cooler than down at the water by vancouver. anyone with some suggestions? Currently i just have trachycarpus fortunei (probably spelled that wrong) and mediterranean fan palms. any other varieties? also i have heard about this trachycarpus naga hills? anyone have good pics of what it looks like or know where i can get ahold of one?

on a happier note, down the road from me a guy has banana trees with FRUIT last summer! and about a block down from him was a trachy fortunei who made it through the winter with zero protection and not a touch of damage and it only has less than one foot of solid trunk to it. Aslo there are some sago palms that survived down the road and I had a majesty palm left out on my patio that completely died and sent out some new fronds to my suprise! ... strange things are happening in the valley and i love it!

2. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

heres a couple trachys

Attached Files:

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I know it's a long haul but Maple Leaf in North or West Vancouver (2 locations) have a decent selection and reasonable prices. Cedar Rim in Langley used to carry palms but I haven't been there in years.
    "Naga Hills' is grown by palm collectors and not sold in retail outlets. Many of the collectors are members of the PNPEPS (Pacific Northwest Palms & Exotic Plant Society). Their annual plant sale was last month.

Here's the web-site - http://www.hardypalm.com/

Cheers, LPN.

4. palmera

palmera Active Member