trying to ID a plum? tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jwars, Jun 25, 2007.

1. jwars

jwars Member

So I just moved into a house that has a variety of fruit trees; mostly citrus which are easy enough to ID, one pomegranate and what may be a plum tree.
    I took a couple of pictures of the "plum" fruit - outside and in - but could take more pictures as needed to help with the ID.
    Thanks,
    Jason

P5250377plumInside.JPG

P5250381plumOutside.JPG

P5250382plumOutsideOther.JPG

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like they may not be ripe yet. Many kinds, there was a big planting of many kinds at the USDA Experiment Station near Chico when I was there some years ago. Maybe this can be used to help identify yours. Otherwise, try an independent garden center, watch out for announcements in local gardening periodicals and gardening sections in newspapers of fruit show(s) where you might be able to get a name.

3. jwars

jwars Member

yeah - they are definitely not ripe yet (when i cut them open they were very hard and had an unripe smell) - just trying to get an idea what to expect; what kind of care to provide; when to expect ripeness - and what to do about the white powdery looking stuff that has formed on some of the fruits. I just figured getting a good ID would be the first part.
    thanks,
    jason

4. David R

David R Member

It's not an unripe Prunus persica nucipersica is it?

5. jwars

jwars Member

I can't rule it out. The pictures of plants i just found searching on that name do have very similar looking leaves; but I have never seen the flowers of this plant, and never seen what ripened fruit looks like (though the current fruit does have that crease down one side). I know it is a stone fruit of some sort based on the inside pictures as well as all of the stones on the ground all over the yard.

Jason

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Peach trees and Asian plums do both have willowy leaves. However, if you went and looked at a known peach tree it would be clearly distinct even from an almond tree - so closely related that peaches and almonds cross with one another.