Wollemia nobilis...any news on timeline for U.S. sales?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by markinwestmich, Jul 24, 2006.

1. carbluesnake

carbluesnake Active Member

Too much CO2, too little CO2; blah, blah, blah. Too much or too little for who? And for who where? I'll argue with a PhD. Anyone can be wrong about something, including those with superior education. Anyone who becomes dogmatic about the CO2 dangers has been inhaling too much CO2. Oxygen deprivation can do terrible things to a beautiful mind. My Wollemi is happy with however much CO2 there is. In fact, it told me it would do just fine if CO2 increased . It's a survivor. And don't anyone spoil our ideas (or illusions) about 'our' Wollemi's being dinosaur food. Kia, you go, girl.

2. kia796

kia796 Active Member

There is indeed too much blah blah blah, much of it from the Wollemi Society itself.

An update to my last comment (repeated here) ...the Wollemi Society site states: Due to US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulations, Canadian trees have been grown in Canada and are only available for Canadian customers. US trees have been grown in the US and are only available to be shipped in the continental US to American customers. Regulations are very strict in this respect.
    Source: http://www.ancientpine.com/servlet/StoreFront

Talked to MY area's CFIA inspector on Tuesday, and he said his agency would NOT have issued me an import permit if the above were the case. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency did NOT make the above rule!

There was a report in an Edmonton paper of a Wollemia that had been donated to a BG/conservatory...upon inspection it was discovered it had been shipped in soil/media which was in contravention of the CFIA's rules. The paper added that a two-year quarantine was issued.

One good thing...during all this blah blah blah (and the Edmonton quarantine, if true), the Wollemias are still growing!

3. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Now they've TRADEMARKED the name of the national park!

http://www.ancientpine.com/about_front.htm

Wollemiâ„¢ National Park in the Blue Mountains.

...wonder what the Darkinjung elders think of that.

I doubt North America's many aboriginal peoples would put up with a similar situation.

These folks must have Enron doing their planning.

4. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

WOW!!!!!

Hey KIA....why the bitterness???......boy do you have a bunch of built up frustration......

If you have such a hard on to get your paws on one of these beasties.....and you are on good terms with Susan Murch....why don't you ask her for a clipping....and see if you can get one growing with tender loving care......

Otherwise - I hear that a few nurseries around Vancouver are selling them....

Cheers

5. kia796

kia796 Active Member

To you, bitterness.

To me, abject surprise that:
    a marketing Society would state that Wollemia nobilis must be grown in Canada for Canadian customers, stating it was a requirement of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. NOT TRUE, according to the local CFIA office.

You may not see anything insidious in the Wollemi Society's statement on the internet order form, however I do. A lot of independent Australian exporters will be hurt.
    But I guess that doesn't ring your bell. It does mine.

And while I wouldn't even consider asking, I doubt Dr. Murch would consider releasing a cutting of her research project.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Indeed. There were some at Art Knapp Urban Garden last weekend selling for the princely sum of $150 - a small reduction in price reported upthread by pierrot on April 27. The trees were similarly sized.

7. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Mine's still in Australia.
    Minter Gardens also has Wollemia nobilis.

8. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

Have you considered that it has been a fairly elusive project worldwide to get cuttings to take (outside the lab)...if you put it to your Dr. Susan Murch that you were going to try a couple of different methods....maybe she might take interest.....

Getting a clipping to take isn't that difficult if you use a bit of common sence........do a bit of homework....and consider the environment of where it was found...you save yourself a bunch of cash....and have the satisfaction that you made something from nothing.....

Otherwise........pull out the wallet and hand over your $150ish and there you have it......

9. carbluesnake

carbluesnake Active Member

You guys are really making me feel guilty for having my Wollemi. Maybe I should give it to poor Kia

10. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Hold onto your baby, carblue, mine'll be en route very soon.

11. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Yep it's getting cheaper - Proven Winners had lots of them for sale at the Van Dusen Garden Show today for $150.00.

12. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Vandusen? darn, I didnt get far enough from my booth to look. I am back there Sunday, will have to check then. ( I am at the big bear tools booth, FWIW)

13. Aussiebob

Aussiebob Active Member

Mandeville Gardens in Burnaby has them for $149.99...they have about 6 or seven left as of Sundey afternoon.......

Cheers

14. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wonder if they only have out 6-7 at a time, backroom filled, marketing. Like the price of gas, some can hardly afford to sniff it anymore.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  15. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Got mine today, even cheaper still at $139.99 from Phoenix Perennials in Richmond.

16. shona

shona Member

what size pots doe they come in?

17. shona

shona Member

does anyone have pictures of a plant that they have bought recently?

18. uno2ca@yahoo.com

uno2ca@yahoo.com Member

What fertilizer is the best to use in canada? Looking for fertilizer with no phosphorus is almost impossible at local garden stores. Can anyone recommend a solution?

19. neobb

neobb Member

Hi Uno,

Has there been talk of Wollemia not tolerating Phosporous?

This is news to me.

It's not in the Protea family.

Forgive me if I'm wrong about the fertilizer needs.

20. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I wish I had quoted who the source(s) were...now long forgotten.
    This was from a February post of mine.

"You may be interested in L'il Aussie's care: several sources mentioned that when fertilizing, use 6-0-6 (no phosphorous), or similar. "

I'll try to remember where I read that...but I did consider it to be a good source at the time.

21. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think you need to be careful with fertilizing any Australian natives. The soil that most grow in is poor. They have adapted to harsh conditions. Not sure if this is true for the Wollemia but natives don't like wet feet. When you see them planted in public places they are often up on mounds and bedded down with mulches to keep water in soil and so that excess drains. I think it is phosphorous (super phosphate or just palin super) that was added in great abundance for broad acre farming because the soil lacked it.. Below they talk about phosphorous

http://www.paton.com.au/home-gardening/australian-natives.shtml

"Fertilising
    A slow release low phosphorus fertilizer suitable for native trees in combination with a foliar fertiliser will promote optimum growth. Follow labelling instructions. Keeping the Wollemi Pine in a pot and fertilizing slightly, will slow its growth rate. "
    http://www.wollemipine.com/care_information.php

"Most Australian plants have adapted to low-phosphorus (P) soils so avoid high-P fertilizer. Every 2 weeks, I apply fish emulsion (5-1-1). Yellow leaves with green veins may indicate an iron deficiency, so iron chelate should be periodically applied to the soil." http://www.lonker.net/gardening_australian_1.htm

Liz

22. neobb

neobb Member

Hi Kia and Liz,

Thanks for clearing this up.

I can see I was way out to lunch on this phosphorous issue.

I guess I had some strange idea that it was the Protea family most sensitive, but I can see I was wrong.

Thanks again.

23. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That may be good for the plants, but it certainly isn't for the fish. Definitely one to avoid. Google "industrial fishing" for more info on the immense damage it does to marine ecosystems.

24. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Does this mean they are not using the scrap by product from fishing to create the emulsion. Are they actually using good fish for this purpose? I was under the impression it was from a fishing by product. If it's not then that is crimminal wastage of a food resource and marine environment. I don't actually use the fish stuff it was a quote. My favoured fertiliser is either manure from my animals or blood and bone. (bone meal)

Liz

Liz

25. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mostly, yes. A few producers do use fish waste (guts, skeletons, etc), but most of that either gets chucked at sea when fish are processed immediately after catching, or else used for added value pet food ("Kitten's Love with real Salmon"). So they use industrially caught sandeels for the cheaper fishmeal uses (you don't get "Kitten's Love with real Sandeel" - no market for it!).

I agree, it is very much a criminal wastage of a food resource and the marine environment.