Bouanvilla Help

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by kinnika, Jun 19, 2007.

1. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

I got a beautiful Bougie a while back and it has just now dropped the bracts. My question is this. Can I cut it back some now or do I have to wait till fall? It is growing real nice but just a bit to large for where I want it. I should also say it is growing in my sunroom and I will not be putting it outsida.

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Judging from the way some of the 'yard assassins' trim bougies in my neighborhood, I would say that you can trim them anytime. However, if you trim it while the bloom buds are 'fixed', you will be removing the next seasons' bloom. Ideally, I would do my 'shaping' pruning right after the blooms drop and before much new growth starts.

3. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

Thanks Chuck: That is kind of my way of thinking also. I don't need to take too much off but some needs to go as it is just to sprawly.(new word LOL)

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Sprawly's good. Know just what you mean. They do get errant "wild hairs" and can use selective trimming occassionly. A tip: Nip them off at a bud joint where the new growth will start in the direction YOU would like it to go. That way you can , for example, give it a 'mushroom' top, or whatever. Trim the bottom ones so the new growth will be 'UP' as another example. Good Luck, and enjoy.