Getting Kiwi Fruit to Mature

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Ginger R, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ginger R

Ginger R Member

Fifteen years ago we planted a male and a female kiwi, which we believe is of the hardy variety. One split off so we just replanted it. It took several years for the plants to get just the flowers. Now we get flowers and fruit but the fruit doesn't mature, it just falls from the stem within a week or two of its appearance.

From what I read it sounds like we may not, in fact, have a male plant. That being the possibility, I'd like to get a male plant or plants but don't know how many I'll need. The existing female is massive with runners climbing some 15' up a nearby tree. I would also like to how close the male plant needs to be to the female and is it possible to find a plant that would enable the female to produce fruit next year or will we have to wait several more years for the fruit?

Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Once the male starts blooming it can start fertilizing the female(s). Just has to be close enough for pollinating insects to fly between. If all plant(s) there now try to make fruit after flowering, then, yes: you don't have a male yet.

For best results be sure to get a male recommended for the female(s) you have. They don't all bloom at exactly the same time, you want a '________' male to go with your '_______' female(s). If you don't know which cultivar you have now you'll just have to take a stab at getting the right male.

3. Ginger R

Ginger R Member

Ron, thanks for your reply.

Will I need more than one male plant?

Thanks

4. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

One male will do fine. Commercially I believe they plant 1 male to every 8 females. Take note of when your female vines bloom if you don't know the variety of female you have. You will want a male that blooms at the same time for pollination.