Montana Clematis suffers tough winter in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Tara, May 19, 2007.

1. Tara

Tara Member

Vancouver, BC, Canada (and Galiano Island)
    My lovely pink Montana Clematis has not bloomed this spring, nor is there much new growth what there is is almost wilted. It's about 10 years old and has been very vigorous till now. My friend lost her Montana (much older - may 25 years old) up in the Dunbar area. My Mom's Montana in West Vancouver is not in quite such rough shape as mine but has only a few blooms and minimal new growth. Yet I've seen many this spring in spectacular full bloom. Are there varieties that are hardier?

I've cut mine back to the base but may just start a new one as they are such vigorous vines. Does anyone know if it was the severe frost and snow this winter that was so hard on the Montana?

Thanks,

Tara

2. Chloris

Chloris Member

The montanas that survived this winter were likely in sheltered microclimates (against buildings etc) Sadly my 2 well established clematis montanas suffered the same fate this winter. I cut them both back to 1 foot from the ground, but no new growth yet. My friend did the same and she has new healthy growth coming up from the ground. I'm going to wait and see if mine makes a come back. Brian Minter from Minter gardens said the roots should still be alive and cutting back will stimulate new growth. I'm hoping...