Help! Indoor house plant is dying!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rm619, Jun 15, 2007.

1. rm619

rm619 Member

I got this one last year and it grew beautifully until recently. As you can see in the picture the bottom part of the leaves has turned a very dark and ugly color. A couple of leaves have started turning brown at the tips. I used to water it every other day and these past couple of months I've been watering it thrice a week. I haven't moved it. Any ideas?? =S

Attached Files:

2. mariateresa

mariateresa Member

I'd say it's too much water. No plant of mine has ever needed water 3 times a week. What kind of temperatures do you have in the house?

3. rm619

rm619 Member

Oh. How often should I water it?
    I'm not sure. I'd say at least 25 degrees Celsius. Lately it's been over 30 outside.

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

It is Dracaena fragrans stump, grown in a very small pot. Since the pot is ceramic, there may not be proper airation near the root. Nutrients from soil must have diminished, since the quantity of soil is very little. Transplanting it to a bigger pot & keeping it in semi-shade may help. This plant loves humid conditions. If the atmosphere is too dry, the leaf tips/edges tend to turn brown.

5. rm619

rm619 Member

OK, thanks!!

6. mariateresa

mariateresa Member

Dracaenas can do with medium humidity levels, but they don't like too much water, or they will rot. First symptoms are generally brown/black leaves.
    Make sure your pot has holes in the bottom. Before watering get your finger into the soil and check for humudity . If it feels humid, don't water. If you can get a moisture meter, use it. Mine has saved many of my plants. So that you can compare, I have a dracaena in a 10' pot; there is about 24ºC in the house and humidity levels are around 65%: it gets watered once every 2 to 3 weeks, more or less.

7. rm619

rm619 Member

Oh. Thanks for the info, that helps!!
    So does that apply to most (if not all) plants, ie. if the soil feels wet, don't water?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  8. Makena

Makena Member

I just bought what I believe is a massangeana cane and now the 2 branches on it are hanging over, and about to break. i think I over watered it and have stopped watering. But I'm curious about the inside temp. We tend to keep our air on at 75deg. on and off during the day. Other times we have our doors open letting in the hot outside air which is dry air. Is this bad for my plant with such a tempature change inside? Maybe it's not happy with the temp?
    Please help, I'm a new plant owner with little experience and really want to learn to keep them alive. Thank you

9. mariateresa

mariateresa Member

Yes, RM619, it applies to almost all plants, if it feels humid, don't water.

Makena, could you post a picture? It would be easier. Anyway, do you see any signs of rot: black or brown leaves/stem, soft stem? If you do, cut the stems, get rid of all the rot, and stick those stems with a few leaves in a new soil and then water it. Keep slightly humid , BUT NOT WET. In about two months it will have developped a new set of roots and you'll have a nice plant again. Dracaenas are really easy plants, but they don't like beeing overwatered.

10. rm619

rm619 Member

Thanks mariateresa!