Bulbs: how to store?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by sunshade, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sunshade

sunshade Active Member 10 Years

I have pots of tulips and assorted bulbs that were gorgeous in their prime and are now dying back and scraggly. Can I remove the bulbs and store them over the summer until it's time to plant them again? I live in an apartment: even the storage area is heated. I do have a balcony.

2. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

You must let the leaves die back before you dig up the bulbs. You can lay them out on newspaper in a cool dry area ,when they are dry you can store them in paper bags with
    dry peat moss in a natural or plastic basket,something that will let the air in but keep light out .You can check occasionally to see if they are dry or damp.Damp will rot them.
    I must admit that here in Victoria I leave them in the ground .I've had a fairly good survival rate but they all seem to turn yellow or red after a few years in the ground ,no mater what colour they began with?

3. sunshade

Thanks for your suggestions: it's the cool part that I have trouble with, living in an apartment. Can I dry them and store them in my vegetable crisper in a zip-loc?

4. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

No ,not in the crisper,too much moisture.Is your balcony in full sun?

5. sunshade

It gets morning sun.

6. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

Well how about in a pantry or a closet just for the summer then when the weather is cooler and your heat comes on you can relocate them to the deck. How many bulbs are we talking about?