wind

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by laboss, Jun 2, 2007.

1. laboss

laboss Member

In general, how bad are high winds for citrus trees? I have 2 meyer lemons outside on the porch now, but I live in windy Oklahoma. I don't want to damage the trees, but I want them to get full sun.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

What kind of wind speeds are you talking about? My trees have been through a couple hurricanes with winds over 100 mph and I did not have any direct damage except lost fruit and some lost leaves. It did cause enough damage to the bark to allow a secondary infection with sooty canker. My trees were small 4-6 ft, but there were no broken limbs and they retained most of the leaves.

Skeet

3. laboss

laboss Member

Nothing like hurricane winds, but it gets very gusty where I live, and my little trees branches are out there whipping around sometimes. I just was wondering if all that wind can damage the tress. Also, are ants a problem with citrus trees?

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Wind can rip the fruit off as it did on mine during the hurricane. As for ants, the biggest problem is that they tend to farm aphids.

Skeet

5. lemongirl07

lemongirl07 Member

My lemon tree is a pot on my balcony in los angeles and actually gets a lot of wind. i used to stress out over it and thought about getting a lattice or something as a wind break, but it's been fine. a few leaves came off when the wind was really high, but otherwise it's still ok. just need to make sure you water more because the wind will dry out the pot faster. maybe the tree will acclimate to the wind and grow stronger?

6. laboss

laboss Member

This is ironic, because it has been very windy today and one of my trees blew over and was rolling around all over my backyard. It seems fine though, hasn't even lost any leaves. I just recieved a new dwarf trovita orange in the mail today, does anybody have any experience with those?

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The wind is natures method of promoting strong, stout trees. Generally, indoor trees and greenhouse trees grown without any wind to flex the stems back and forth grow weak, and often require support to hold the tree upright. The back and forth flexing of the stems by the wind stimulates root growth as well as strengthening of the stems. All young tree seedlings at 3-5 inches tall should begin to be placed outdoors in full sun and WIND to promote strong healthy growth. - Millet

8. laboss

laboss Member

Thank you Millet, that is good news because the winds are very strong here. My meyer lemon has very long, drooping branches that I am hoping the wind will strengthen. I would prune it, but I don't want to reduce the node count because it hasn't bloomed yet.

9. Millet

When we talk about wind, I am sure you recognize that the wind can get to a speed where it is harmful and can cause damage. Under such conditions caution is advised. However, most windy conditions are helpful. - Millet

10. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

My trees have faired the nasty winds fairly well.. lost a few leaves.. but they were probably older leaves they would have lost soon anyway..
    Might want to check the soil more often.. hot winds will dry a potted plant out a bit quicker..
    If the winds are bad enough to blow them over might put bricks around the pots to help stabilize them on real windy days.
    I'm North and East of you a bit.. Did you get the 45 mph wind gusts?

11. laboss

laboss Member

Yes we did get some pretty bad wind gusts the other day, they blew one of my poor trees over. It seems like it is always windy here, and very hot. I am getting worried that it may be too hot for my trees to thrive.

12. Millet

Growth of citrus trees is retarded and finally completely checked by either too low or too high temperatures. Any temperature below freezing (32F) is to be considered dangerous if long enough continued. Citrus trees generally die at temperatures below 28F, they will live but stop all growth at temperatures below 55.4F, they have optimum root growth (elongation) at 80.6F, the most abundant root-hair development is at 93.2F. At temperatures above 98.6F. citrus still live without much difficulty, but all growth (root system & foliage) comes to a halt. It is not possible to give a definite maximum temperature that may under certain conditions be endured by citrus trees without injury, but such a maximum must be slightly higher than 124F (51.1C). -
    Millet

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  13. laboss

laboss Member

Millet-you are a citrus genius. What is your opinion of the dwarf trovita orange tree, if you don't mind me asking?

14. Millet

The Trovita orange shows how different a chance seedling can be from the parent tree that produced it. Washington Navel oranges produce no to very few seeds, but every now and then one finds a seed when eating a Washington Navel orange. The original Trovita orange tree grew from such a Washington Navel seed. What is exciting and different about the Trovita orange is how different it is from its parent. Washington Navels grow best in cool coastal areas, Trovita produces heave crops in the hot California desert. The Washington has a large "navel" on the stiller end of the fruit, Trovita does not. Also the Trovita flowers produce pollen, whereas the flowers of it parent does not. The fruit's pulp taste similar to Washington but is more juicy with 2 to 6 seeds per fruit. It is a good non navel orange, well worth growing.- Millet