Wisteria or Clematis in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Alex of the outback, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Alex of the outback

Alex of the outback Member

Re: Wisteria in shade?

I wonder if I could use wysteria or clematis in my house in Mexico, to frame a sunny window? The window is 8' high and about 15-20' wide. I want to put one potted pant on each side and grow them along a wooden arch to frame the window.

Red is the color I really want there. It is humid half the year and dry the other, but pretty much always 80 degrees fahrenheit down to 40 at night in the coldest.

What do you think?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Have you considered Bouganveillia? You'll get that red colour you're looking for (Wisteria only comes in lavender or white). Anything you grow in pots will need to be watered regularly of course....

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

It seems wisteria would do well as your climate. You appear to have the same elements to the Brisbane area (Australia) and I am told it grows well there. And yes if in pots needs to be well watered.

Liz

4. Alex of the outback

Hi Liz and smivies,

bouganvilla grows all around there outside. But the people there tell me that bouganvilla needs to be outside or it falters and doesn't flower well.

Have you grown it indoors?

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

No non of these would grow indoors here. My Wisteria is growing up on the outside of a balcony (2 storey) with good morning to miday sunlight. Bouganvillia is not so happy here but down in the city it grows every where BUT I would say out side over trellis etc.

How much light do you get in this window area? Maybe some one can suggest a more indoor plant or several different things that you could hang as baskets in a group. Not one after the other so it becomes too uniform. If there is enough light and warmth maybe a climbing geranium. (Many colours including reds)They use them a lot in Europe for baskets. Here they take over whole fences and look fabulous. Maybe Nasturtium if enough light.

http://www.geraniumsuk.com/plants/by-suitability-7/Climbing+Geraniums.htm

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/...6&catID=556&contestCatID=&rowNumber=80&camID=

http://www.acsgarden.com/article_item.aspx?id=4

Liz

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  6. smivies

smivies Active Member

Bouganviella can be grown as an indoor plant in regions where it can't be grown outdoors, as can Jasmine. Neither will look as good as a plant grown outside in a tropical or subtropical climate....maybe that's where the faltering comment came from?

Both will do better in an indoor climate than Wisteria or Clematis...Wisteria being a bit too vigorous to be indoors anyway.

As the vines arch over the top of the window, where will they get their overhead light from? They'll grow fine as long as they get some good strong (even direct) sunlight from the window. Maybe a philodendron or pothos would be better suited to the light conditions?

7. Alex of the outback

I am looking for a flowering vine. Prefereably with red flowers. I was reading about some vines from hawaii and new zealand called Mandevilla x amoena "Alice du Pont"; a cultivar of Mandevilla splendens. A couple others that sound like they might work are "Golden vine" - Stigmaphyllon ciliatum or my last choice because it's invasive is "Laurel Clock Vine" - Thunbergia laurifolia.
    I was reading about really big Hoyas, but do they really get so big as 15-20' long? I grew one here in Wyoming and it was rather small. But the big ones I read about were in Florida. Maybe that would do well in Mexico????
    Will passion flower vines grow indoors?

8. smivies

smivies Active Member

You are trying to grow a vine indoors in a climate controlled environment. While just about any plant will grow indoors, you need one that will tolerate it enough to look healthy, flower, and arch over your window. None of us know how much sunlight the interior perimeter of the window actually gets but if you think it's really really sunny, then even a Passion flower will do well as will any of your other suggestions. I would caution though, against trying to grow plants from temperate climates that need a seasonally cold dormant period like Wisteria or Clematis.

None of the vines you suggest will ever look as good indoors as they would if grown outdoors, especially in your climate.

As well, Thunbergia laurifolia being invasive is a moot point, you'd have it inside.

9. Alex of the outback

smivies,
    you are right about not growing as nicely indoors, so I am looking for a flowering vine that likes shade a bit. So far, it looks like plants in the Passiflora or Bignonia families looks best for some shade. Do you know about vines in the bignonia family? I can try both, if I can get them in Mexico.
    Has anyone ever grown these indoors?
    Living in Wyoming, I know about the heartache of trying to grow plants that are not hardy in their environment.