kiwi plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by linda martinson, Jun 4, 2007.

1. linda martinson

linda martinson Member

I have six kiwi plants. Three male and three female. Some of the leaves are turning white and I don't know why. If anybody knows why this is happening could they please share it with me.

I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

thank you.

2. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

You most likely have the "Arctic Beauty" hardy kiwi whose leaves turn white and pink. If you google that name you will see pictures which will resemble yours. It's just the colouring they grow into. Nothing to worry about.

3. linda martinson

linda martinson Member

Thanks so much for that information Tylerj. I appreciate it. I was really worried that there was something wrong with them. The size of the kiwi is about the size of your baby fingernail last year.

4. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

Wow I'm quite surprised you are able to grow it there in Thunder Bay. That's zone 2 according to the Ag-Canada website. Spring frosts must be an issue up there also? I've only ever seen ratings of zone 4 and up for the A. Kolomitka variety of hardy kiwi. But hey, if its growing and producing kiwi thats great!! :)

I'm in s.w. Ont. and also have that variety. I'm also growing 4 different A. Arguta varieties as well since they produce bigger kiwi fruit. The plants are new though so I will have to wait a few years to see my first fruit. I'm also experimenting with a couple fuzzy varieties (store boughten kind) that I grew from seed.