New here & have a Q.

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Rima, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, I've responded to a few questions on the forums, and have gotten e-mail notices when someone replies to them. Now, on my profile options I did check that it was ok to get e-mail (and it is) from others, but I did not mean it was necessary to receive notes every time someone on the forum replies... I go and look at it every day anyway, as I do other forums. If that's how everyone here does do it, it's ok, but not necessary, however, there doesn't seem to be an 'option' on the profile to say 'don't bother', because if I uncheck the 'e-mail ok' option, then I won't be able to write to anyone or vv when I/we do want to write privately for any reason. If you can make any sense out of this, please let me know if there's an answer. Thanks a lot!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Rima,

You can do a couple of things.

To set a default for future messages, do:

My Settings -> Edit Options -> Messaging and Notification box -> Default Thread Subscription Mode: change this to either Do Not Subscribe or No Email Notification.

(No Email Notification is as it says. Do Not Subscribe includes No Email Notification, but also does not add the thread to your Subscriptions)

What are your subscriptions?

Subscriptions are like bookmarks in your browser - it's a central place where you can store threads you are interested in for future reference without having to go through the search system or forum navigation. If you are reading a thread and want to add it to the list, click on Thread Tools -> Subscribe to this Thread.

To see your subscriptions, go to:

My Settings -> (left sidebar) List Subscriptions

From this page, you can modify all, some or none of your email notifications, as well as your subscribed threads.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Thanks a lot!

4. gagee

gagee Member

How do I find out if anyone answers my questions?

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

By coming back to the forum next day and looking at the same thread for follow-ups.

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I get a message to tell me if either a private or forum note arrives. They come to my private e-mail and I just press the blue line and it shoots me straight to the message I am needing to see. I find this list very good for controlling where one has been etc.
    Well done Gods of UBC

Liz