Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Donna, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Donna

Donna Member

Hello All.....I guess its been a while since i have visited the website, i joined a few months ago, ( snow was on the ground) and seems i am classed as being "new" OK by me....I live in Ontario, zone 4b.....I always thought it a zone 5a/b area, but after losing perennials year after year, i have reclassified my area as zone 4a/b...The weather has changed so much globally, who knows what they really are now .This winter i lost echinacea, coreopsis, missouri primrose, cornflowers to just mention a few...after a cold rainy spring, everything is far behind in the gardens, so i may yet discover a few more losses..
    Donna

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello and welcome Donna,

A lot of BC gardeners (and gardens) lost plants that were "pushing the envelope" this past winter as well. Considering that the last time the temperatures dipped that low for so long was over a decade ago, some plants that were fairly mature were lost. Native plants (especially conifers) seem to be taking a hit from the drier weather the past few summers as well.

Hopefully the weather improves for you and some of your plants recover.

Daniel

3. busybea

busybea Active Member

sorry to hear about your loss i know how u feel donna [busybea] in alberta

4. Nature Obsessed

Nature Obsessed Member

Well, you may have lost some very beautiful plants and flowers, but at least you can enjoy the beauty of snow! I live in Florida, and seeing as I'm only fourteen, I cannot move North, even though i love the beautiful winter snow. So look on the bright side; you experience snow, may lose some flowers, then spring comes and you have the best of both situations, as the plants begin to grow back.

~ Devin ~

5. Kitchen Gardener

Kitchen Gardener Member

What has surprised me about our west coast winter this year,I live in Victoria,are the plants that survived unscathed and quite forgotten .Some perennials I purchased in the 50% off sale at the nursery, I was quite sure were never to rise at all ,are madly blooming in the oddest places.Eucomis,echinacea,poppies,lilies,and I can hardly believe it, a spreklia under the oak tree!

6. bride20

bride20 Member

i'm new too and the reason for me joining this forum is because i have started to like gardening. i have a small garden and i intend to make the most out of it.

7. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Welcome to the world of gardening. It's kind of like music and art - food for the soul.