Fungus on my lemon tree.

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Matthew Scowcroft, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Matthew Scowcroft

Matthew Scowcroft Member

I have recently planted a lemon tree from seed and am growing it on my windowsill- just from a regular supermarket lemon. It is now about a foot high, but seems to have developed some kind of fungus on the stem. The fungus is in small, thin, semi-circular hard plates, is light brown/beige and some has what looks like hardened drops of amber coloured liquid on the ends of the plates. I have so far just been scraping it off, as I don't know whether to use a fungicide or if there is a less violent method of getting rid of it (or even if it is necessary to get rid of it- so far it does not actually seem to be harming the plant). Please advise what I should do?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do they look something like this? Scale via the University of California Integrated Pest Mgmt program (click on the links to see photographs) Note: this is an insect, not a fungus

3. jdelisle

jdelisle Active Member

I thought seeds from supermarket lemons would not produce fruit bearing plants. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

4. Matthew Scowcroft

Matthew Scowcroft Member

No, the plates are not flush with the stem, but perpendicular to it. And they grow like a fan opens. This is Northern England by the way if that helps?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Post a photograph (or scan), if possible?