Bonsai

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tbird, May 30, 2007.

1. tbird

tbird Member

Hi! I bought a bonsai--looks like an umbrella plant or maybe schefflera--and was told by the store it "should do alright" (!?!) in a south-facing window. They said water it 2-3 times a week, which I am doing, but it continues to lose leaves. I thought I had read awhile ago that bonsai roots should be immersed in water rather than just watered from the top. Is this true? The pot it came in has a layer of small stones glued over the soil and is in a "double" pot--the inside pot comes out of another similar plastic pot, and they both have holes. Also, should or can it go outdoors? Can someone help me please?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Welcome to the world of bonsai.

Water from the top, and do it based on how wet the soil is, not time. Let the upper 1/3 of the soil dry out, and then water well. Southwidow sould be ok as long as it's not too hot. Perhaps move it back a bit from the widow if you think the sun might be too strong.

Pull those rocks off of the soil ASAP. They are there to look good and to hold the soil in place during shipping. They are very bad for the tree. No airflow and you can't tell how wet the soil is.

Have a good read through:

Evergreengardenworks.com
    &
    Bonsaisite.com

3. tbird

tbird Member

Thanks for the sage advice! Will follow instructions accordingly!