Identification: Plant identification and care requested

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Tropical plants north of 60, May 19, 2007.

1. Tropical plants north of 60

Tropical plants north of 60 Member

Hello from the Canadian Arctic,

We have two plants that I would like help identifying. We also need help because leaves keep falling off.

You can see on one plant that the stem is bare more than half way up (it lost most of its leaves last year). The other plant recently started to lose leaves as well. It is spring and we are getting more and more sunlight. We have about 18 hours of sunlight now and will get about 24 in late June. I am not sure if it is because of the sunlight and I need to increase the watering. But the leaves are yellow and I wonder if that is from over-watering.

From base to tip, the plants are around 9 - 10.5 feet. Each leaf is about 12 inches long.

Thanks for any help!

Tropical plants north of 60 degrees

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like a Schefflera to me.

3. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

It is Brassaia actinophylla

4. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Brassaia is correct. Common name Schefflera, or umbrella tree. Given lots of sun, will flower. To get more, chop it up and pot the pieces. Break the stems off the top piece, and the top piece will root and pop more leaves. Mine (outside) will grow to twenty feet,or so, then I cut them to about 6 feet. These then pop one to four new stems to make the clump more dense. Three original stems (trunks) have now become twelve. On these big guys, the cut off stem gets sawed up and recycled.

5. Tropical plants north of 60

Tropical plants north of 60 Member

Thanks for your help identifying the plants.

Any help with care would be appreciated too.

In the Canadian Arctic

6. Rosie

Rosie Member

7. mayormullet

mayormullet Member

Judging by a plant that size, if the plant is in good light, it probably wants more water. Make sure you give it a good soaking, then let it dry out a little before you water again.