plant suggestions please

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by jardinero, May 27, 2007.

1. jardinero

jardinero Member

Hello,

We recently purchased a house and are presently trying to improve the yards. I am looking for plant/tree suggestions for both the front and back yards (preferably species that are hardy, child-friendly, and not too expensive). We have grapes growing in the centre back of the yard (in back), which also grow on to the fence. I have planted Boston Ivy on one side for a privacy screen and may plant Virginia Creeper on another part of the fence. I am considering planting a few Lilac trees to form a casual hedge in the back. We transplanted (or at least have attempted to) grass from the front to the back. I would like to replace this with some other sort of groundcover. Our front faces west, and the back has both western and northern exposure, the southern side of the fence is lined by Manitoba Maple from our neighbour's side.

(photo 1 shows front yard, photos 2&3 the back)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

do you have a vegi garden for the kids?

3. Rosie

Rosie Member

I have a beautiful bleeding heart in my garden. I planted a little twig of a bleeding heart plant given to me by a neighbor about a year or two ago and I never thought it would take hold and come back after winter - but it has! I live in the northeast and winters can be very cold and snowy but that little twig survived and has grown large and beautiful with lots of beautiful bleeding heart flowers. I would recomment this wholeheartly since it's easy and pretty and really fills out.

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Reminds me of my Wyoming townhouse garden from years ago, except I didn't have a tree. I tended to kill things like petunias, so perennials (often obtained from friends) were perfect. Also bulbs, which made it possible to cram a lot of flowers into a small space. I'd avoid daffodils (too many leaves). Small narcissus varieties like Hawera are better (and cheap). Siberian squill or crocus (if the squirrels don't know they're edible). It's always worth trying a few asiatic hybrid lilies. Some of the older varieties like Connecticut Yankee are good yard plants.

5. montagueboy

montagueboy Member

Henon Bamboo may work fo you. One of the giant timber bamboo. The distinctive-looking canes are slightly rough to the touch and blue/grey/green in color. Beautiful, lacy green foliage. Good in clay and quite drought tolerant. Makes a great hedge.

Height: 40’
    Diameter: 4”
    Minimum Temp: 0o F
    Full Sun Best

There are many types of bamboo. Sticking with "clumping" types as opposed to "running" and they wont take over your yard. You can go to www.bamboosourcery.com
    and look at some others too.

Here's an evergreen that's a pretty fast growing privacy screen Arborvitae Techney can be found at http://www.midpark.bigstep.com/homepage.html
    These only gets to between 15 and 20 feet tall and about 6 feet in diameter.
    Now, when your all done with that and you want to buy paintings for your new home check out my site, www.jakebrownpaintings.com

Best of luck with that privacy thing.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you plant ivy you may not need to bother planting anything else... it will eventually overgrow the whole yard, and surrounding areas. I would take it out as soon as you work out another privacy plan.

It is certainly an option to just plant hedges, casual or otherwise, around the perimeter of the yard; in fact it is what I might do. However, you could also sit back and ask yourself exactly which view corridors you want to block and ensure you have trees or a pergola or something to perform that function. The lilacs sound lovely... in spring. Unfortunately, you will also have to look at them (dry sticks) the rest of the year, at which time they will offer no privacy at all.

Other than the view problem, you are jumping way ahead of yourself by asking for plant suggestions and are going about it kind of backward. You should select plants for specific areas of your yard, each of which will have certain conditions - dry shade in the front under that tree, for example, full sun in the back, and part sun near the perimeter if you install that hedge. You can best do that kind of research by reading local magazines or cruising local nurseries and reading plant tags - because climate matters.

Finally, the structure of your yard should come before its planting. The current layout looks like a series of accidents and default decisions to me, and to my mind isn't ready for plants yet.

Finally, do some homework on the correct way to grow things so that you don't waste time or money. For example, the best way to start grass is either by sod or seed, not by transplanting some from the front yard. If you still want alternatives to grass, there are limited options and which will work depends on what you want to do with that area - walk on it or not, for example - and what look you want.