Rhododendrons

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by zakalls, Mar 8, 2003.

1. zakalls

zakalls Member

Rhodendrons

Hi , we have discovered a black blossoming rhodo in our collection of rhodos this amazing shrub has dark green semi shinny curled under leaves with a dark purple stem, it comes out in mid june/july with black blossoms woth a deep red throat, could anyone tell us the name or a hybrid of this beauty. we were thinking "witch docter" but its blacker bud not deep red.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

This sounds late for such a dark rhodo to bloom.Can you send a high definition photo? We should then be able to have it identified.

3. zakalls

zakalls Member

June was when it bloomed and I have a pic..but i have to put it on a disc..i'll work on it ..thanks for replying

4. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Re: Rhodendrons

What you have is almost certainly a Rhodo called Warlock, a cross of Romany Chall (which you almost never see), and Purple Splendour, which you see all over the place - one of the nicer purples.

Warlock is a late bloomer and has a very dark red flower (the buds almost remind you of R. sanguineum, a species that has buds that are basically black/red until they bloom), and the impression of darkness is reinforced by the black blotch in the flower.

A nice plant!

5. zakalls

zakalls Member

Thank you for your reply..much appreciated...Warlock..great name........ now when it has its beautiful bloom... I can tell people its name..A very desirable plant..wanted by many people.. is there a good way to propagate this sweetheart? thanks Jen/Rick