palm care, palms have sugery leafes

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by vrenmul, May 24, 2007.

1. vrenmul

vrenmul Member

I usually have the palms on the patio through summer and in winter they are staying at the window in den dining room. So far so fine, for about four years. One month ago, the plants were still inside due to the wheater, I discovered, that most of the plants have sugery leafes. Does anybody know what I will have to do with them now.
    Why does this happen, and how can I get rid of it? The most concerned plant has also kind of yellow mushrooms in the soil.
    Your answer will be very much appreciated.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

you mean the leaves are covered with a sticky coating? if so it has a pest on the leaves somewhere and its their poop on the leaf.....the mushrooms are something unrelated I would say, and probably a harmless fungus in the compost.

3. vrenmul

vrenmul Member

How can I get rid of this sticky coating this pest? Is it enough to clean down the whole leafes with water or will I have to spray something?

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

For aphid, mites, whatever, spraying with soap, then rinsing may be helpful.

5. vrenmul

vrenmul Member

Thank you so much. I will try it tomorrow. By the way will I have to replace the soil too?

6. vrenmul

vrenmul Member

Thank you so much. I will try it tomorrow. By the way, will I have to replace the soil too?

7. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Some scale insects also attack roots, but I think that's uncommon (the case I'm thinking of is the southeast Asian scale insect that's killing Cycas plants in Florida).

If soap doesn't help, the usual treatment for scale insects is horticultural oil, available at any place that sells a wide array of pesticides and such. It smothers scale insects. Soap has the opposite effect--it breaches defenses against too much water by breaking up oily or waxy deposits (think of bacteria having their skins torn apart!)