Falling peaches

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jcdesigns146, May 22, 2007.

1. jcdesigns146

jcdesigns146 Member

I have a peach tree I planted 2 seasons ago that had hundreds of blossoms on it earlier this year. They soon grew into fruit, but now I notice I have 5-8 small peaches about the size of a small lime falling each day. My tree is located in the corner of my yard and is surrounded by a fence on 2 sides.It has good circulation from what I can tell. The fence posts have warped letting in valley breezes. It has no sign of rust or peach curl, no sign of disease. I do notice a few spiders have moved into the corner and ants are frequently spotted on branches. I fertilized it with an fruit and vege organic fertilizer earlier this month when I noticed them falling. The fruit have no sign of disease and are rather healthy.

I pruned after the 1st season, but was not able to prune it back last fall. I managed to get only 2 peaches harvested last year doing nothing but watching and watering. We have sandy soil, its not that fertile. Everything else grows well. I am hoping to enjoy a good size peach cobbler this season if I can get them to stay on the tree. Can you help?

Attached Files:

2. jdelisle

jdelisle Active Member

I live in Indiana and experienced similar results last year. I didn't get a single peach from my tree. The weird thing is I had more than I could ever eat the previous year (2005). I'm hoping things go well this summer. I think squirrels were eating some of the peaches last year, so I may install a protective barrier to keep them out of the tree. Let's hope someone can give us insight on our issue...

3. jcdesigns146

jcdesigns146 Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I was thinking it might be natures way of pushing the weeklings off so the peaches had room to grow. I haven't seen any squirrels in my area. I've seen the peaches sit there for days on the ground so I don't believe it's an animal. I'll continue to watch and see and hopefully enjoy some.
    VB

4. jlee

jlee Member

I heard if you fertilize too early when the fruit is not completely set, will result in fruit droppings. This goes with all fruit trees. Hope this helps!

5. jdelisle

jdelisle Active Member

Just FYI...I haven't fertilized my peach tree in the last 3-4 years.