Northern California Dudleya Spp.

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Natalie M., May 18, 2007.

1. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

I have recently taken a great interest in owning these small succulents that I see out when hiking near my hometown. Unfortunately, I cannot find any listings online for places that sell the species I want - the one site I found was sold out of all sizes of the plants at all of their locations. Here are the species I am interested in purchasing:

Dudleya cymosa cymosa
    Dudleya cymosa paniculata
    Dudleya farinosa

Has anyone seen these species being sold anywhere (online or in nurseries)?

Also, I'm wondering about the specifics of their care. In the wild, I see them growing on rock or clay cliff faces or otherwise very steep habitats with very little soil. How would I replicate this in captivity? Can they be planted in pots like other succulents and still thrive? I'm not sure about watering either - for about half the year we get no rain whatsoever. During this time, would I not water the plant at all? Or would I mist it a couple times a week to simulate the summer fog that comes in?

If I cannot find any stores, would it be possible to sucessfully collect one (or two) from the wild? It's illegal to collect native plants from public land and state/national parks, but if I find them growing on my property it would be legal. How would I go about collecting one without damaging the plant and successfully transfer it to a pot? Also, are they easily reproduced in captivity?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

Thank you for the link! I looked through as many as those websites as possible (many of them seemed to be down), and I found only one place that listed any of the species I wanted as available. A couple other places had them in stock, but were wholesale only. I found Dudleya cymosa and Dudleya farinosa available at this nursery, which fortunately is only about 10 miles away from my house. I guess I will stop by there next weekend, and probably get both species.

Hopefully the Dudleya cymosa is one of the subspecies I wanted. I suspect it is, because the nursery is located in one of the areas where I go hiking. I'll have to study it a bit more.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  4. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

Well, I got an email back from the nursery... It turns out they are growing the plants from seed and they are still very small so they won't be on sale for at least another few months.