Hoya plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by hoya lover, May 21, 2007.

1. hoya lover

hoya lover Member

I Have an old (about 25 years old) hoya plants that with in the last year have stated to lose leave they look like they are dry, turn yellow and fall off there are new runners comming on right now that look real good I water when dry they live in a built in planter in my home with a grow light above them that is turned on each day they have not been repoted with in the last 5 years Need help as I do not wish to lose my plant these plant are not easy to repot as they are in a trullis

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Maybe it needs re-potting after 5 years which is a long time so it might be VERY root-bound, or the soil stays dry or wet for too long?

3. sandy130

sandy130 Member

I might also take some cuttings from your hoya...if its 25 years old, the older leaves will tend to yellow and fall off due to age....its a good sign that your hoya is getting new vines which means there will be new leaves coming too...

4. Ines

Ines Active Member

Funny, I just repotted a combo hoya, pubicalyx and carnosa in the same pot, after over 15 years! The root ball was solid roots and the poor thing was still growing and blooming. I did notice that the older carnosa leaves were very yellow, but not falling off. I separated them and gave each it's own pot.

So, repotting may help, usually yellow leaves are a sign of not enough water, possibly your plant is so rootbound that it uses up the water very quickly. Go up one pot size.
    I know repotting a trellis plant is a pain, maybe someone can help you - can you leave the trellised part alone and somehow work on just the pot area? If not, it is no big deal if you have to unwind it a bit, they are tough plants, it will be ok. Actually, it will be much happier with some fresh new soil and extra root space!