Are these Haworthias labled correctly?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Natalie M., May 19, 2007.

1. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

I picked up two new Haworthia plants today, and I wanted to make sure they were labled correctly. The first one was labled as Haworthia turgida, but it doesn't look quite like any of the pictures I've seen of the species (the shape and patterns of the leaves look different). The second was labled as "HAWORTHIA HYBRID (old RIGIDA SUBEXAPANSA)". Old rigida subexpansa? What does that mean? It looks like some kind of H. sordida hybrid to me, but I'm not sure. Haworthia.com didn't even list "Haworthia rigida" as a species.

Here are the pictures of them:

Attached Files:

2. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

No Haworthia experts here I guess? Does anyone know of a good succulent-based forum where I can ask about them? Most of the boards I've found have little to no recent activity.

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Garden web has a good succulent forum. I have the one in the first pic, but don't know the name. It does match the name you gave. Same with the second, but as for what hybrids of what I don't know.\

Just do a google image search and compare the photos.

4. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I believe the 1st is a H. cymbiformis or form thereof (definitely not turgida). The 2nd looks to me like H. limifolia v. ubomboensis, as seen here: http://www.haworthia.com/Sheets/DEM154Hist1.htm

There is a rigida species & there is a H. tuberculata var. subexpansa-which I understand is a synonym for H. scabra v. scabra...but I don't think that's your plant.

There is a very active C&S forum at thegardenforums.org if you want to check it out.

5. Natalie M.

Natalie M. Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I knew the first one couldn't have been Haworthia turgida, the leaves looked wrong for that species. H. cymbiformis is a much closer match.

H. scabra scabra is actually very similar to my plant, moreso than H. limifolia ubomboensis (because that variety has smooth leaves). The rough texture of the leaves is somewhat difficult to discern in the first photo I posted of the plant, so I took another picture that better shows the bumps.

Although it is similar to H. s. scabra, I still think it may be some sort of hybrid. Confusing two slightly similar Haworthia species is understandable (Turgida versus Cymbifolia), but labling a pure species as a hybrid seems much less likely. Because of this, it may be necessary to post a picture of the plant on another website to get some more opinions (either GardenWeb or TheGardenForums).

Here is the picture I just took:

Attached Files: