Red Dragon info

Discussion in 'Maples' started by birch69, May 15, 2007.

1. birch69

birch69 Member

OK, I have read many posts and this is my first on this site. I realize that I am out of my "gardening" league here, but feel that this is where I will get the best info. I just bought a Red Dragon JM that is about 4 ft tall. I am trying to decide on the placement, but have a few concerns:
    1) The tag says it will grow 7-10 ft, but everything I've read says 5-7ft; which is more accurate?
    2) Can it be kept short ( 5-6ft) by pruning yearly?
    3) I have read that it becomes broad, how far should this type of tree be planted from the foundation of my home?

Thanks for any help!
    eric

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

How it works is first it's 5-7 ft. tall, then later it's 7-10 ft. tall. Often there is a time frame a size range is supposed to represent, this may not be stated. And they're all representations and not absolutes.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Tree heights.pdf

I don't think you'll have to worry about it knocking you over.

"The growth habit is like a dwarfer form of 'Crimson Queen', a compact well-branched cascading mound, reaching 2.5 m high. 'Red Dragon' needs protection from cold wind and summer drought, but makes an excellent small garden, rock garden, container, or bonsai plant."

--JAPANESE MAPLES (Timber Press)

3. acyvas

acyvas Member

From what I've read Red Dragon is also slightly more Heat and Drought tolerant than Crimson queen.

According to Mountainmaples.com:

It seems to have good resistance to leaf burn, and with the use of Protekt, can take much more sun than most lace leafs.

Protekt is a 0-0-2 fertilzer which can me found in most Hydroponics shops or at http://www.dyna-gro.com . The unique feature of this fertilizer is the silicon oxide SiO2 (7.8%) which supposedly dramatically reduces leaf burn. I recently bought some and I am hoping it will make my Red Dragon survive the summer heat.

4. Ron B

As with repeated use of any fertilizer you want to test your soil to make sure you are not starting to overload it with any of the ingredients. Effectiveness of the product may also be subject to chemical content of irrigation water.

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

1 like Ron,2yes but prune a little3 if your fundation are in arm cement no problem (I have acer Negundo to 3 ft )if no 10ft.alex

6. acyvas

acyvas Member

I have been told that it it is actually very difficult to overload any plant with silicate as it can even be used as a growing medium (as long it is no greater than than 50% of the planting mix) http://www.fifthseasongardening.com/tips/hydroponic_media.pdf

I honestly would use silica stone as a soil addative on my red maples to reduce heat stress if it weren't so expensive. Unfortunately its about $40 per 1.5 CF. I would definately use it if money were no object.

7. Ron B

The 2 in the 0-0-2 would usually be taken to indicate a P content. Then there is whatever non-primary nutrients the product may contain (such as silica).

Another aspect of fertilizers is contamination with toxic materials not on the label (pesticide products have the same problem). Brings us back to not putting something on year after year without soil tests or other monitoring system indicating a continued need.